Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Trackpad not working without ALT or SHIFT Key

Thats better.

It sounds like a dirty or maybe damp keyboard. If it never got damp, skip the next bit.

If it has got wet, moisture can make the device unresponsive right the way through to destroying it. Electricity and water are not good bedfellows; you wouldn't expect the computer to work if you were to wet it.

It doesn't have to be dunked in water for the device to have issues. Even steam in a bathroom can affect it.

My friend lost his when were were caught in a rainstorm and the water got into his pocket and in to the BB.

If you think it may have a moisture issue, remove the sim, battery and mc and leave it all in a dry place for a couple of days and DONT be tempted to try it in the meantime.

A dry place may be a sunny warm windowsill, the car dashboard, the airing cupboard or near a heater. Do not put it in direct contact with a source of heat.

If on the otherhand it may have or has got wet, then take it apart as described, place it in a bag of uncooked rice (raw/dry) and then put it in the warm place but for 5 days. Again DON'T keep trying it.

Afterwards, the damage can accessed, but hopefully, with a few tweaks, it will be fine.

Cleaning the keyboard

http://dannedelko.com/blackberry/how-to-clean-your-blackberry-curve-keyboard.html

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Bell

Hi, I had the exact same problem, but only for the last 24 hours. And about 10 mins ago, i was sending a text and the problem was still occurring, and then immediately after, i sent another to a different person, and the problem had miraculously resolved! All systems are now go!

I chatted with my IT guy and he thinks that it is a keyboard issue. I have my BB down at the beach a lot, and he figures that a grain of sand may have become lodged under one of the keys, preventing it from working properly. What has likely now happened is that the grain has now dislodged.

I suggest cleaning dismantling your phone and cleaning the keyboard. There are lots of YouTube videos online that will show you exactly how to do this safely for your phone.

Hope that helps!
Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

I'm having the same problems. I was wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong. Thanks!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi, I had the problem for about 3 weeks, eventually realised that I needed a new phone and ordered a replacement from Vodafone. On the day the replacement phone was due to arrive something must have dislodged and reseated itself as I havent had a problem since. Personally I think that it was the way front and back of the phone were joined. Thanks
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!

I just started having this problem 2 days ago. I had to press the alt key to scroll on some pages, and it took some hard keypressing to get the phone out of sleep mode. I tried everything to fix it! I (carefully) dismantled the phone, checked all of the connectors, and cleaned every inch of the inside with rubbing alcohol. However, 10 minutes later after I reassembled the phone, guess what? Same problem!

Now, let me ask you this: How many of you are using TPU gel cases?

I have come to the realization that my phone worked perfectly for ten minutes, that is, until I put the case back on. My problems didn't even start until I put the case on for the first time a few days ago. The second I removed the case, my phone has worked perfectly ever since!

I hope this helps at least a few people, I don't know if it will work for everyone.

Good luck everyone!

***I have heard that silicone cases have caused problems as well!

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: 447929519455

THIS IS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM I HVE!! dropped it other week and it worked fine dropped it again and nnw its broke again! what did you do?

My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Fido

Hi, 

Has anybody found a solution for this issue yet? I'm having the exact same problems and it's becoming extremely frustrating having to be able to scroll only while holding the alt or shift keys.

Is the only solution to take apart my blackberry and clean out/replace the trackpad / keyboard? I have a curve 9360 with OS 7.1 (upgrading OS didn't help... which was what I was hoping it would do.. Smiley Sad)

My Device: Pearl 9100
My Carrier: Movistar Argentina

Hi!

I noticed this problem after my phone hit the floor. The trackpad started to work only with ALT or SHIFT keys. After searching everywhere I realized that the FF key (over la light) was pressed by the housing of the equipment (It was because of the hit). After fixing that problem the trackpad started to working again. Hope this help! Sorry for my English!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verison

[ Edited ]
I have this problem on my blackberry bold. I thought the problem was simply that they symbol key was jammed on, which would explain why the cursor is being used to change between special and international symbols rather than to move the cursor. This explanation was also consistent with the problem going away when shift or alt are pressed, since they could simply override the symbol key. But strangely enough, when I'm typing and email normally and I press the symbol key the symbol menu opens up! So there is some other problem. Anyone know if it is hardware or software?
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verison

[ Edited ]