Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300 Curve

Trackpad not working without ALT or SHIFT Key

Hi

I've searched all over for the answer to this problem, and nothing. Hopefully someone can help.

I have a blackberry curve 9300 thats about 1 months old. Two days ago the trackpad started to work only with ALT or SHIFT keys.

Problem is:
Situation 1) In the home menu the track pad scrolls great. It can move up to change ring settings, left, right, down, etc. Completely normal.
Situation 2) I press the menu key and the trackpad no longer works. I can't scroll left right up or down through the icons. Now when I try holding the alt key OR the shift key, the track pad works again... Only in some menus do I need to hold the alt or shift key to activate the track pad (and I need to hold the shift or alt key for the track pad to work, ie, if I release the alt/shift key it no longer responds)
Situation 3) When sending a text message when I use the track pad to scroll down and send a message, it takes the last character and cycles through the symbols for that character

Specs:
Phone: Blackberry 9300 Curve
Software: v5.0.0.845 (Platform 6.3.0.34)

Done:
I've tried the factory reset, removing the batter, removing the sim, etc. Nothing changed

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My Device: Blackberry Curve 2
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Trackpad not working without ALT or SHIFT Key

The SAME exact thing is happening to me!!!! ANYBODY out there seen this?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300 Curve

Hi

When your Blackberry is working take the battery out. Wait for 2-3 minutes and put the battery back.

I solved my problem by this way

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

i got the same exact problem and I'm trying the battery thing now any ideas how this happened so i dont make the same mistake twice????

New Contributor
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: verizon

same problem here. I have rest it, pulled the battery. Backed it up, erased it and started from scratch. Still having issues.

any help?

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Anyone figure out the problem ? My 8530 was lost for a few months, found it the other day and had it reactivated and upgraded with latest firmware and the same problems started ? Thanks, Rick
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Hi!

I was exactly at the same situation and I could fix the problem as following:

1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Put the battery again (it’s not necessary to wait).
  4. The phone will restart automatically with a square on the top right corner with the inscription “ALT”.
  5. Press “alt” button and the square will disappear with the problems, I hope.

It’s probably due to a combination of keys while the phone was in the pocket (for example) but I didn’t found the way to return to original configuration without doing 1 – 5.

So, after fixing this issue I recommend to lock the keyboard (pressing Q). One unlocks with Play/Pause/Mute button (over screen, by the side).

I expect that this helps you.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi

Thanks for you post but its blank!!

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Sorry it was blank ... problems with internet connection.

As I was trying to say I also have a 9300 running version 6 and have also experienced the issue.  My scenario is that the trackpad will only let me navigate within the area of the screen that I am in such as withn the tray, I cannot get out of the tray to other areas of the screen without holding down ALT or SHIFT.

I have tried the actions of rebooting, turn off and on, take the battery out, etc but all to no avail. 

During one frustrating episode this week I applied pressure to the phone around where the ALT keys are on both sides while trying to use the Trackpad and it actually came back and allowed navigation.  To prove this was no fluke I have done this on 3 or 4 occasions now and all the time it worked. 

I cannot be certain exactly what it is that I do but I apply pressure to the phone case around the ALT keys.  I can only assume that there is a dodgy connection that is interfering with the signal from the trackpad.  I realise that my advice is not a scientific but hopefully it makes sense to someone who knows the internal workings of these devices.