Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790 Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin Media
Accepted Solution

Trackpad not working

please help so I got a text message on my blackbery 8520 and I entered the password as usual and the trackpad would not move, I couldn't scroll but I could click but not scroll please help.

Kind Regards
A Ramzan
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Trackpad not working

Remove the battery with the BB powered-on. Leave it out for 2 minutes and replace it. Let us know if that helps.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Contributor

that was the first thing i did but when i did pull the battery out, i left it for a good 5 mins then when i put it back in the LED light does not come on Smiley Sad what can be the problem? i know i havent dropped it and it hasent been anywhere near water.

Kind Regards
A Ramzan
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Ok. The problem may well be mechanical.

Open the rear cover and remove the battery and sim card. There's a small rectangular stainless steel metal plate which is the cover for the touchpad. On the left area of this this plate next to the sim card is a tiny white soft piece of sticky paper covering a torx screw that holds the plate in place.

Use a torx screwdriver with a T5 size bit and carefully remove the screw, remove the metal plate then reinsert it and replace and tighten the torx screw. You may find that the screw was loose and the plate may not have been secured in place properly. This may solve your problem for good as a loose torx screw prevents the touchpad or optical pad from making the necessary full contact with the inside of this cover.

Be careful not lose the very tiny torx screw while working on it. You can get a very inexpensive torx screwdriver with a set of miniature bits for around a few £'s or $'s. Make sure there is a T5 bit in the set.

A temporary fix which might help until you get the right screwdriver is to put firm pressure on the metal plate cover with your finger. This does work for a while but the freezing always returns.

Another fix recommended by some is to remove and reinstall the Blackberry sotware but this is also not a reliable fix given the loose screw issue. The only real fix is to follow the above procedure as long as your touchpad is not physically defective and needs replacement.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Contributor

ok thank you, you were right the screw was a little loose so i just tightned it up and poped the battery in and hence the red LED light came on and it booted into the os just fine and the trackpad works like it was new. Thanks again you just saved me a lot of stress

Kind Regards
A Ramzan
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

I have a Blackberry Curve 9300 with the same problem. I took out the battery and sim but I don;t see any sticker to the left. I do see the sticker with the model information and such to the right. However, when I lift it there is no screw there.
Is the above fix for 9300s or a different model, or are there different versions of the 9300? If so is there a fix I can use?

New Contributor
My Device: 8???
My Carrier: tmoble

Ok I have an 8520 ... in another form I saw the advice of taking a tiny pin and sliding it around the trackpad a few time... when I did it was working for half a day... So I did my 8th battery pull and while it was rebooting, I very carefully pressed all the areas "outside " the track pad with thumbs..(careful but firm as in massaging the area.) Yea I know that sounds weird ...  I was assuming the trackpad itself was getting stuck or was slightly off center ...

While it's rebooting--- there is time to do this... then took a pin to make sure all sides were free.  I now have full trackpad use and it's zipping around at 100 mph, fast as the first time I got the thing.  Smiley Happy success!  

I think the trackpad got jammed or was not touching all sides and back..  What I did worked so.. yea!!

New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom

I triend everything (did a battery pull maby 20 times already, rebooted it with the alt right shift and del which normally worked for me) but now its totaly frozen.. I even took out the sim card, and memory card.. I've got a 9300 and I'm really starting to get annoyed, what else can I do?? It clicked but didn't move so when I rebooted it it was totally frozen!
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks a lot man, it works perfectly now!
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Tesco

Why should we have to do this, they cost enough money surely this should be done when they are built... Not happy!