11-17-2009 10:56 AM
i first want to preface these instructions with a thank you to T-mobile for pissing me off enough to figure this out on my own..... I hope that this will help some if not all of you!
if you have the 8900 through T-Mobile, then this is what you do:
1: make sure that your battery, sim card, and media card are still in your old phone.
2: go to BB messenger. make sure you can see the main BB messenger screen (contacts, groups, etc.)
3: hit your menu key and select back up contact list
4: select back up files locally
5: when you get to the back up files locally screen, change the save files to Media Card and save. it will generate a generic name for your contacts on the Media card.
once that is done, you can take the battery, sim, and media card out of the old phone and put it in the new one. once your phone has finished booting up, then you can:
1: go to bb messenger home screen
2: hit the menu key and select restore contact list
3: select restore using a back up file from device
4: serach for the Media card folder, then select im, select blackberry messenger, select yourold pin, select back up, then select that weird file name you saved your contacts to.
5: it will ask if you are sure you want to proceed with the back up operation and that it will replace your existing contacts (but you shouldn't have any if the phone is new or a replacement!) and slect yes. All of your contacts should show up in your contact lists! Ta Da!!!
02-21-2010 04:29 PM
I did the same, however all my contacts are in shadows (the photo are like under a white shade). I can send messages to them but they cannot reply me. Is deleting the old list on the old device necessary?
04-23-2010 04:02 PM - edited 04-23-2010 04:04 PM
i know this reply is probably late.. but u can go to apple.com and download the blackberry desktop manger for mac.. its very helpfull
hope it helps
04-23-2010 07:40 PM
i did exactly what you said but for somereason when i got the blackberry messenger app on my new phone.. i have the old pin there instead of my new one..?? how can i fix this
09-12-2011 05:59 AM
you can also do a GSM style of transfer. If you do not have the BB Desktop Manager.
1.In your old device, go to your BBM. click the BBM icon and look for Options.
2. Scroll down and select Backup.
3. Select Backup Locally
4. Assuming you have media card, remember which folder the backup is going to be saved. You may change to a different folder and rename the backup file. the file extension is *.con
5. After successfuly backing up your BBM contacts, remove the battery and SIM. Insert the new SIM.
6. Start the BB and go to BBM. Click on the BB icon and look for Options.
7. Scroll down and look for Restore.
8. Select Restore Locally
9. Finde the backup file in your media card.
10. Click Restore and voila!
11. Remove the SIM and transfer it to new BB device.
Hope this helps.
12-27-2011 08:31 PM
I have all my bbm contacts
thanks for your help
You can put the persons PIN's into their contacts. You will have to manually re-add the contacts to BBMessenger because you will have a new PIN number for your new Blackberry.NewpThis is easily done via Backup and Restore in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Do the following:Connect your old BlackBerry, and open Desktop Manager, then Backup and Restore. Click the Advanced Button. Once the device databases have loaded, find BlackBerry Messenger. Highlight it, then click the arrow pointing to the blank column to the left.This will copy your BB Messenger list to a backup file. Once its transfered, disconnect your old BlackBerry and connect your new BlackBerry. Perform the exact oposite procedure. Copy BlackBerry Messenger from left to the right.You should then see all your contacts on your new BlackBerry.
01-16-2012 10:40 AM
If the normal restore option didnt worked.You can restore manually by doing the below steps, using Desktop Manager.
1. From your old BB, open your bb msgr -click on options- scroll down- Under Backup Management you can see one option to " Save a Backup of Your Contact List "
2. Choose back up and save it on locally (Choose Back up files locally).
3. Save file on Default location. it will be "On Device". File name will be look like BBM-(12-01-16).con
4. it will show you " The backup file was successfully created ".
5. Now open your Desktop Manager - Click Files
6. Go to the below location - Device -Home-User- you can find the saved bb msgr file BBM-(12-01-16).con
7. if you didnt find there then go to this location - Device-Home-User-im-Blackberry Messenger- 284DRT56 - backup - BBM-(12-01-16).con
8. Copy this file BBM-(12-01-16).con and past it on your desktop.
9.Now disconnect your Old BB and Connect your New BB.
10.Open Dekstop manager and Click Files - Device-Home-user- paste the copied file over here.
11. Now on your New BB - open BB mesenger-click option- Under Backup Management - Click Restore- Choose Restore using a backup file from device - Browse the location and select the file - it will ask you The contact list will be replaced with the backup data, do you wish to proceed? - Click Yes.
12. Now it will restore your All the BB msgr contact list.
If you dont have Blackberry Desktop Manager -then save the back up file localy and choose media card. once its saved - remove it and put it on new one- and go to restore option and choose from media card . it will restore your contact list.