Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Transferring photos to computer

This is very confusing, and I am getting ready to to back to my trusty Motorola! No offense to anyone, but I went into a store and bought a device, and I expect it to work relatively seamlessly.  They may have saved some money by having customers do all the legwork on this, but they are going to lose customers, too, including me.

You guys have been very helpful - it is not your fault.

I will try one more time with questions here.  If nobody can give me EXPLICIT, STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS how to do something as simple as upload photos from my cell phone to my computer, then it is clear to me that the Blackberry is at least not for me.

ONE MORE TIME:

You mentioned downloading (but you did not mention from where) and upgrading to 4.5 OS on my 8310. No one mentioned that before. This is new.

Let me see if I have this straight.The Blackberry model 8310 that I am sorry that I bought came with some kind of software to load on my computer version 4.2 which I have to upgrade to 4.7 from some site that no one has even provided a link to.  There is some kind of other software that I have to download to version 4.5 (that no one has provided a link to) onto my 8310 to make the other software that I have to download work properly.

Is this correct?

Would you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS as to what to do to be able to download freaking pictures that I took with this expensive device onto my computer?  STEP BY STEP DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS.  NOT IN PIECEMEAL.  I do not have a computer science degree, nor do I have the same training as a techician does in setting up these devices (which should have been done in the store, with an upgraded CD for me, in fact). 

Thanks.  I realize that Research in Motion's problems in attaining customer respect are no one's fault on this board, and that you guys are doing a great job. But I am not getting explicit instructions on what to do here, but rather bits and pieces.

I can email in my serial number (if someone can tell me where to find it) if that would help. 

Please leave no step out. Tell me specifically what I need to do to be able to upload photos onto my computer, just like I did with my Motorola after uploading the software from the CD that they provided without having to do anything else.

Thanks

I have no degree in computer science.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

The BlackBerry Curve 8300, 8310, 8320 and 8330 are all models that are a few years old. When they were originally made it came with the newest OS and newest DTM at the time. Now they both have newer versions as of the beginning of 2009.

DTM 4.7 and OS 4.5

Think of it like when you bought your computer. Came with windows Vista or Windows XP which was great when you bought it, but when you took it home and hooked it up for the first time, and connected it to the net, all of a sudden you had 95 Windows updates to go through. Yes windows is automatic, but computers are also more powerful and have more feature. blackberrys are just small computers, they are not just a cell phone with bells and whistles like a motorola. Normal cell phones for the most part dont get updated, you get bored of it and buy a new one. Blackberrys again are like computers and can be upgraded for years to come.

I would definatly recommend getting the DTM 4.7 because it has some better features and more stable. The OS is not a necessity.

Uninstall your current Desktop Manager from add/remove programs in control panel in Windows

Download and install the below version

Desktop Manager 4.7.0 B50 Multilanguage - With Media Manager

You will now have the latest version with Media Manager, Oh and during the installation, choose personal email, not work email.

I will gladly give you DL links for OS and instructions to install it if you like but I would need to know your carrie. Device OS are carrier specific

Good Luck

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

jrfriedman wrote:

If nobody can give me EXPLICIT, STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS how to do something as simple as upload photos from my cell phone to my computer, then it is clear to me that the Blackberry is at least not for me.

Go here :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware
check the sticky discussions (with a red arrow)

second one is the one you need.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: 8330 Curve

After you have followed the previous instructions to download and install the Device Manager, follow these instructions to transfer your pictures to your computer:

• Double-click the icon on your computer desktop for "Desktop Manager"
  • In the box that appears, single-click the link "Media Manager"
  • A window with a split screen appears.  By default, the top half of the screen is the media on your computer, and the bottom half is the various folders on your device.
  • In the top half, on the left side of your screen, notice the 4 tabs under the words "import digital media"  Click the second tab, that has an icon of a folder on it.  These are the folders on your computer.
  • Click on the folder in which you want your pictures stored on the computer after you have transferred them.  If you are not familiar with how to manage folders, I would just select the one titled "My Pictures"  
  • In the bottom half of the screen, you will see your device folders.  If you do have a card installed (my Blackberry came with one from the box, so I assume yours did, too) you will see, in brackets, the words [Device Memory] with the folders of information on your device and the words [Media Card]with the folders of information from on your media card. 
    • Note: If you do not see the folders on the media card, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder called Blackberry
  • Each of these has a folder called "Pictures". Your pictures are on one of them. Click on each folder to see, and the pictures will appear in the right side of your computer screen.
  • Select the pictures you want to transfer to your computer:
    • To select all the pictures, select Ctrl+A on your computer keyboard
    • To select certain only certain pictures, hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click on each individual picture with your mouse cursor.
  • Once the pictures are selected, look between the top and bottom windows on your computer screen, and you will see a button that says "Copy Up".  This will copy your pictures to your computer.  If you prefer to MOVE the pictures (in other words, delete them from the device after they are transfered to the computer) select "Move Up" instead.

I hope this helps!

New Contributor

Sorry I have not checked in in awhile. I am grateful to everyone for their input.

With respect to my computer and new operating systems, when that has happened, I simply took my computer to Best Buy and had them install the new operating system.  Or upgrade it in some other way until it was more economical to simply buy a new computer.  That's the service that I would expect from Research in Motion.

So I took the Blackberry back to the AT&T store where I bought it so that they could do this for me (I even had my laptop with me), but they said they were not allowed to do it because Blackberry was afraid that something might go wrong and the phone would be destroyed.

Well, if they cannot train the folks who sell their phones, then I certainly am not going to try.

I will use this as a phone until the two year contract runs out, and then switch phones to something more user-friendly. Just like the people in Best Buy are happy to upgrade my computer and show me how to use various functions, so are they more than happy to sell me and help me maintain and IPhone. I have nothing agains anyone here. I simply think that Research in Motion has a lot to learn about customer service. But I take heart in that they are aware of their shortcomings, because the individual in the ATT store where I bought the phone told me that the RIMM is thinking about allowing the point-of-sale places doing these functions based on their latest meeting.

Anyway, it is a great phone and everything else!  I just prefer to bring it to someplace - like I bring my computer - to have it upgraded. As a customer who is willing to pay for service, I feel that I deserve it.

Perhaps RIMM, like Apple, can sign a contract with a reputable organization like Best Buy and have them do these things. It is a natural fit because apparently software has to be upgraded on ones compturer, also.

What I don't understand is why, like other software I have including that which operates my printer, don't I get prompted from time to time and then, with my permission, it upgrades automatically, WITHOUT having to first delete the prevous version.  Either RIMM is not as high-tech as they like to think, or, once again, they are making the misjudgment that their customers should do the legwork that should be done by them. 

I don't think that RIMM will go the way of Atari or Compaq, but I do think that they are losing one of the most affluent market segments.

Anyway, I have hope!  The individual in the AT&T store gave me a phone number at RIMM to call in which he thinks the person might be willing to walk me through some of this stuff.  After I reread what everyone here has said and follow the links, if I am still gun shy, I'll call up and try one last time.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help.  RIMM has disappointed me, but no one here has.

A puzzlement:  Even though the model that I have is old, should I not still have been able to upload photographs to my computer from it? The Motorola RAZR I had purchased at the time certainly had that capability.  I am very surprised that the Blackberry was not able to at the time.

Wish me luck when I make the phone call!

Guru I

jrfriedman wrote:

With respect to my computer and new operating systems, when that has happened, I simply took my computer to Best Buy and had them install the new operating system.  Or upgrade it in some other way until it was more economical to simply buy a new computer.  That's the service that I would expect from Research in Motion.

About the computer thing, you don't rely on people from Hewlett Packard, from Packard Bell or from Acer or Microsoft. You rely on the people at Best Buy. If you want the perfect analogy with your RIM device, you should be relying on AT&T staff.

sdfsdfsdf

jrfriedman wrote:

Well, if they cannot train the folks who sell their phones, then I certainly am not going to try.

RIM does provide training. Even you can go and get trained by RIM employees on using a BlackBerry device.Just click on the "SUPPORT & SERVICES" button on top of this page, there is a link to the support programs. If AT&T believes their employees do not need those programs, RIM cannot do much about it. Best Buy employees are agile and can help you a lot because they have Windows knowledge.

jrfriedman wrote:

I simply think that Research in Motion has a lot to learn about customer service. But I take heart in that they are aware of their shortcomings, because the individual in the ATT store where I bought the phone told me that the RIMM is thinking about allowing the point-of-sale places doing these functions based on their latest meeting.

well, RIM is now targeting mass sells at customers that are not corporate ones. It's quite new actually, and they do not always put things in the correct schedule (touchscreen without Wi-Fi in 2008) or do the right implementations (Roxio Media Manager) or put too many timeline ladders (AppWorld available only in three countries in the world). Things take time fur fortunately, they can only come faster and faster to the consumer.

jrfriedman wrote:

What I don't understand is why, like other software I have including that which operates my printer, don't I get prompted from time to time and then, with my permission, it upgrades automatically, WITHOUT having to first delete the prevous version.

When I upgrade an application on my device, I indeed have a click to accept "do you want to uninstall previous version" but I also have that question in many of my Windows applications. anyways, it's just one click and then the installation begins.

jrfriedman wrote:

A puzzlement:  Even though the model that I have is old, should I not still have been able to upload photographs to my computer from it? The Motorola RAZR I had purchased at the time certainly had that capability.  I am very surprised that the Blackberry was not able to at the time.

Motorola has been ahead of times for many technologies stating with the RAZR series. for example charging using Mini-USB cable for charging the battery, or being a USB Mini-SDcard reader.

I can do all that with my Curve 8310. Please read:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...
HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi, I have a BBerry cruve 8900 and run windows 7 and BBerry Desktop Manager version 5.01. In the prior version 4.7 I had installed on Windows XP, I could view via Media Manager the files saved on my device memory and transfer them onto my PC. However, this is not an option in the new version of Media Manager, and I cannot view my files. The message I'm getting is that I need to have a media card installed on my device, and I do not (just have the device memory).

Any ideas on how to download my images to the PC? When I connect via USB, I cannot just click on my device and see them there.

Have been trying to avoid emailing all of the images to myself individually.

Thanks!!

I have an old T-Mobile Blackberry phone I bought 5 years ago.

It has been in a drawer unused for 4 years and the battery is no good.

How can I take the memory card that is inside and transfer photographs that I took using my phone  to my Mac Book Pro? Thank you,

Suppose the Blackberry is dead - no media manager to use, etc .. nothing exists except for the card that is inside next to the battery. Can I take the photographs from that card and transfer them to my Mac Book Pro? Thank you

Guru I

which model is this device ? If I were you, I would buy a new battery, and sell the device.

provided you have not activated security content protection on your media card, just put the miniSDcard in a card reader and open the file explorer on your MacBook, it just works.