Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Tried updating to 7.1, got stuck for an hour, removed battery and rebooted but still stuck?

I got the notification on my phone telling me to update so I clicked yes, it started backing up my data (or so the screen says) but then got stuck at 11% for AGES. I tried to exit out of it or do anything but it wouldn't let me so I removed the battery, but then when it rebooted it just went back to the 'backing up your data' screen, and is now stuck at 7%. I tried removing the battery again and leaving it for a while but still no luck. Help please!!!

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Tried updating to 7.1, got stuck for an hour, removed battery and rebooted but still stuck?

Hi sgbucknell

You should have used BlackBerry Desktop Software for upgrading your device software.Seen this problem with many users.Now to recover your device you can try two methods but remember it may will delete all data within your device. I hope you have a previous backup.

(Credit JSanders)

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect: 
  •  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

So try it and let us know of your progress.

Good Luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Visitor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Tried updating to 7.1, got stuck for an hour, removed battery and rebooted but still stuck?

I too tried to update mine this morning. Big mistake, been stuck for hours now... pretty appalling really. I know BlackBerries are not Nokia or Androids but come on, updates must be user friendly. This is likely to be the one and only Blackberry I ever own... this is my work phone and I know we're now looking at alternatives.

Instructing people not to update via the phone is not particularly helpful and absolutely not the answer BlackBerry users are looking for. No wonder RIM are in trouble.

Elite II

robert1967 wrote:

I too tried to update mine this morning. Big mistake, been stuck for hours now... pretty appalling really. I know BlackBerries are not Nokia or Androids but come on, updates must be user friendly. This is likely to be the one and only Blackberry I ever own... this is my work phone and I know we're now looking at alternatives.

Hi robert1967

Yes BlackBerry Smartphone are different then those Nokia and Androids,Infact much more improved.I often Update and downgrade my device software but never had any problem it is because either I do it manually or use BlackBerry Desktop Software for the purpose.

robert1967 wrote :

Instructing people not to update via the phone is not particularly helpful and absolutely not the answer BlackBerry users are looking for. No wonder RIM are in trouble.

I am not Instructing any user but I am just helping other user who also love his BlackBerry as much as I do.And by the way RIM is not in trouble but others are.

Good Luck .

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold - 9900
My Carrier: MTN

Can I update my software to 7.1 via my device? I have schedule it for midnight maybe hoping the network won't be busy or should I just do it via the pc desktop?
Elite II

Hi sanet123

I don't prefer doing upgrade from device , you can use BlackBerry Desktop Software for this purpose.By using Desktop Software you can do your device backup before performing any upgrade.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold - 9900
My Carrier: MTN

Ok will do that. Thank you
Elite II

Hi sanet123

You are welcome Smiley Happy ..that's a good decision, let us know if you face any problem .

Good Luck.