Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Accepted Solution

Trouble with Escape key on 9320

I've had a Curve 9320 for about a month now and it has developed a fault.

When I am within an application such as Contacts I can use the trackpad and Escape button to move around. However, if I try to use the Escape button to leave the application the keyboard freezes. I can only release it by holding down the Menu key and then selecting Home.

I don't have a problem with Messages or E-Mail so I don't think it can be hardware.

Any suggestions welcome!

Garfield

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Trouble with Escape key on 9320

As you suspect, I believe it sounds like a software issue.  Do a battery pull to resolve it.  Remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it.

Post back with your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Just tried the battery pull but sadly it didn't work. After leaving the battery out for around 30 seconds I let the phone reboot. After signing back in I tried Contacts but no difference. Smiley Sad
New Contributor

Good News! having read some more older issues within the forum I decided to do a fresh installation of my OS. I used some instructions posted 4 years ago and on completion the problem has gone away!

Thanks to Ka Lin and Krypto for providing the method for fresh installation!

Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Well it looks like I spoke too soon! The phone worked all day yesterday without a problem after re-installing the OS but when I turned it on this morning (I leave it powered off all night) the Escape key was up to it's old tricks.

Looks like I need to try to get a replacement phone... Smiley Sad

New Contributor

A quick update!

The problem goes away if I use the phone in Safe Mode. What is that telling me? I have seen comments on the Virgin Mobile forum about problems with their mobile rescue app but if you remove that app, the insurance cover is invalidated. MmmmSmiley Frustrated