Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Vodafone IN

Troubleshooting BIS in BB storm 2 9550

My Blackberry Storm 2 9550 is not able to get EDGE on the phone so i am not able to use BIS it was previously on Verizon but I unlocked it.It was working properly but after six months of purchase.I am not able to register neither on vodafone server nor on blackberry or host routing table, service books are also not available.... I tried it with other sim cards of different service providers then to it is not working.I tried each and everything which service provider told like battery pull,restart,security wip etc.Please HEL ME

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Troubleshooting BIS in BB storm 2 9550

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please clarify -- if you are attempting to use a 9550 on a carrier that does not natively support that model BB, then obtaining the service books is a very challenging thing indeed. Please clarify if that is what you are attempting to do.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Actually I dint get you.......but I am using a GSM card that is VODAFONE INDIA and on my BB storm 2 9550 its written CDMA service so due to this I am not able to get Service books easily and I am not able to use BIS???
Contributor

Its already unlocked so is it like it would be on a contract with VZW and they might have blocked the number or anything??
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

I"m not fully understanding the words you are posting, so let's see if I am interpreting correctly:

1) You have a VZW 9550

2) The 9550 is unlocked from VZW, as validated by this:

3) You have a SIM from Vodafone India, that you wish to use in the 9550, locally in India

4) It worked fine for 6 months on Vodafone India, but has recently stopped working

If I have that correct, here is what I suspect happened. When you unlocked it and put the Vodafone India SIM into it, it properly registered to Vodafone India. But, your BIS-level services did not get shut down from VZW. Sometimes this happens...a carrier may not immediately shut down your BIS services when you move onto a different carrier. And some carriers allow the BIS services to function, even though they are traversing to a different carrier. Once VZW caught up, they finally shut down your BIS service since you'd not been paying them for those services.

Consequently, what you now need to do is to get your BIS services working directly from Vodafone India. And that is where the challenge will lie. The 9550 is capable of both CDMA and GSM services...it has a multi-function radio. Clearly, since it was working via Vodafone India for those 6 months, you have it properly configured to operate on that network. But, until you can activate BIS services from the Vodafone India network, you will have no ability to receive BIS services from them.

If you indeed have a BIS-level account from Vodafone India, then that's only the first step in getting this working. The next step is obtaining the Service Books from Vodafone India (you previously had them from VZW, but when they shut down your BIS account, the Service Books were automatically removed from your BB). Even if the BIS account at Vodafone India is fully functional, the Service Books must still reside on the BB in order to actually use the service. And the Service Books come from the carrier. Most carriers will only deliver Service Books to BB models that they natively support...so if Vodafone India does not support the 9550, then they will not push the Service Books to you.

There are tedious and manual methods to obtain the necessary Service Books, but please first clarify if all of the above that I have written to you is accurate.

Oh...one more thing...are your voice-level services, from Vodafone India, working fine still?

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

It is properly unlocked and voice level services and everything is working fantastic but only BIS service isnt working................and I dont have any account for BIS in Vodafone India rather its not signing up only and when I called Vodafone Customer Care they told me that they had a talk with Blackberry Technical Department of Vodafone India and ma BB storm 2 9550 is fully supported for this service!!!

And how shall I regain this BIS facility from VZW and any further solution which you could provide to solve this??

To be truth in India neither the Blackberry Retailers nor Blackberry Customer Care Center  is giving me solution for this since I brought this phone from VZW they aren't answering me anything!!!They are like they dont know anything about this and what to do with this VZW phone!!! 

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

harshsparikh wrote:

It is properly unlocked and voice level services and everything is working fantastic but only BIS service isnt working................and I dont have any account for BIS in Vodafone India 

Ahhh...that would indeed validate my suspicion above...that you were using VZW's BIS service without paying for it, and they finally caught up and removed it. That is their right to do...you were using their service and not paying for it.

harshsparikh wrote:

rather its not signing up only and when I called Vodafone Customer Care they told me that they had a talk with Blackberry Technical Department of Vodafone India 

It is possible that VZW did not properly release the BB PIN from their BIS, but deactivated the functionality. Only one BIS account can exist in the world for any individual BB PIN...VZW must release it before Vodafone India can create a BIS account for you on their system. It is good that they are escalating...hopefully they can resolve it. You may as well need to contact VZW to get them to release the PIN -- as long as you were the actual VZW BIS account holder, they should be willing to work with you.

harshsparikh wrote:

And how shall I regain this BIS facility from VZW and any further solution which you could provide to solve this??

You cannot...I would suspect they will be even more unwilling since you used their service for 6 months without paying them. But, typically, BIS is delivered by the wireless service provider that is primary on the BB, which needs to be Vodafone India in your case.

harshsparikh wrote:

To be truth in India neither the Blackberry Retailers nor Blackberry Customer Care Center  is giving me solution for this since I brought this phone from VZW they aren't answering me anything!!!They are like they dont know anything about this and what to do with this VZW phone!!! 

Each carrier, as the owner of their network, has the right to decide what devices are allowed on their network. You indeed are lucky that they are willing to let you have voice services. Some carriers refuse any functionality for any device that they do not directly support.

In any event, you need VZW to release the PIN from their BIS so that Vodafone India can create a BIS account for you.

Good luck!

Contributor

But how will I use their services we dont have Verizon network in India and I never went to USA...........from starting till now I am using Vodafone INDIA only!!!

I called Verizon Customer Care they told me to contact Vodafone and Vodafone are telling to contact Verizon as they might have blocked BIS service,so what shall I do now?????

And twice I updated my software in India through ma computer and even once degraded it because 5.0.0.1015 wasn't working well....so due to this is it possible that the setting may have changed or may have lost,which were present after unlocking when it was bought a new one or may be a software glitch?

Hall of Famer III

harshsparikh wrote:

But how will I use their services we dont have Verizon network in India and I never went to USA...........from starting till now I am using Vodafone INDIA only!!!

I am not telling you to use the VZW BIS service. I am telling you that, in order to use the Vodafone India BIS service, VZW must first release your BB PIN from their BIS system. Only then will Vodafone India be able to create a BIS account on their network for you.

harshsparikh wrote:

I called Verizon Customer Care they told me to contact Vodafone and Vodafone are telling to contact Verizon as they might have blocked BIS service,so what shall I do now?????

Sadly, you are caught in the middle. You should contact VZW again and escalate to higher and higher levels. It may even be good to conference the high level tech support (the BB-specific support folks, not the generic front line support folks) of both together so that they can perhaps work this out.

Using a BB on a different carrier from it's original is not a simple thing...as you are discovering.

harshsparikh wrote:

And twice I updated my software in India through ma computer and even once degraded it because 5.0.0.1015 wasn't working well....so due to this is it possible that the setting may have changed or may have lost,which were present after unlocking when it was bought a new one or may be a software glitch?

No. The installed OS is totally irrelevant to your issues as you have presented them. Once a BB is properly unlocked, it is forever unlocked, regardless of what else is done (at the consumer level).

Good luck!

Contributor

You told previously that I used Verizon BIS service for free of cost for six moths that's why I mentioned that we don't have Verizon network in India.

So you suggesting me to call Verizon Customer Care and tell them to release ma pin so I could use Vodafone India BIS service right?