Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Turn Keyboard Lock Off Entirely

I have a user (our Chairman) who upgraded to a 8820 when his previous bberry failed. He HATES to have to enter * + <Call> to unlock the keyboard.

I've set the timeout to an hour, and I've enabled answering calls while locked, but I can't find a way to turn the lock off altogether. There's no password, and we are not on BES, so it's not an admin policy setting.

Can the lock be disabled at all?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Turn Keyboard Lock Off Entirely

I don't believe that there's a way to disable that without Disabling the Security Timeout setting.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

IanSmith wrote:

I have a user (our Chairman) who upgraded to a 8820 when his previous bberry failed. He HATES to have to enter * + <Call> to unlock the keyboard.

I've set the timeout to an hour, and I've enabled answering calls while locked, but I can't find a way to turn the lock off altogether. There's no password, and we are not on BES, so it's not an admin policy setting.

Can the lock be disabled at all?

This setting cannot be changed on the device, if no password is set, the default setting will be *, <Call>.  BB's were originally designed as secure devices, i.e. no camera, no sd card.  I guess they just want to keep some type of keypad secruity on the device.

Hope this info helps.

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Set a short password (4 character min). I find it easier to key than * + <Call>. Not to mention it protects all his potentialy sensitive information on the BlackBerry.

Ask your chairman this... Would he hand his BlackBerry to a stranger on the street to read anything he wants from the device? My guess is probably not. The password provides a lot of security since after 10 incorrect attempts clears the device of all date. So make sure he creates frequent backups if needed.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Just wanted to say that you all for your input. Looks like he is stuck with having to unlock his keyboard in some fashion, and I do agree with the security concerns.