Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: Storm 9530

Tutorial: How to upgrade your Storm to OS 4.7.0.151!

Hey guys,

Since I upgraded my Storm's OS to .151 yesterday, I figured I would write a guide on how to do it. I know that it's probably been posted around here multiple times now, but I figured I would compile everything into one article, as well as explain the differences between the operating systems that I have installed since I received my Storm.

Check it out, and let me know what you think in the comments!

mobilitea.com/blog » Blog Archive » Tutorial: Upgrading to BlackBerry Storm OS 4.7.0.151

Thanks,

jlgosse
BlackBerry Mobile Software Developer
http://www.mobilitea.com/blog/
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tutorial: How to upgrade your Storm to OS 4.7.0.151!

I have been using 151 for almost 3 days and it is by far the very best os I have tried.

Great guide and blog

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Yup, I've actually created two guides that work for upgrading your OS, regardless of what OS version you're using (each uses two different methods).  There are also several others available from BlackBerryFAQ and CrackBerry.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting as well though.

(I'm personally hoping that my carrier, Telus, makes 4.7.0.151 official - very nice!)

Message Edited by Krypto on 07-13-2009 12:17 AM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor

So..... is it that much of an upgrade over .148?  Whats improved in this version?

Thanks! 

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Better memory management - way better memory management.  This is the first OS that only drops 1-2MB in a day on my phone, and then stays there for the next day.  You do have to make sure to exit out of programs, but even if you don't, it still often doesn't drop.  My phone is currently booting with 42.3MB and then stays above 40MB without problem most of the time (and when it does drop, it'll come back up).  This is the first time I can say that.

Browser is a bit faster, especially if you remember to do the *228 call to download the up to date roaming lists.

There are new transitions so that when you close a program, it actually closes inwards to the centre - looks neat.

A few other little things, but the big one is definitely the memory management. 

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

I have to agree with everything said above. It is the best os so far, at least for my phone.

The only thing on the down side is that it doesn't play well with a lot of themes. So if you do use it check around to find if it works with your theme.

Trusted Contributor

why is it when i down load the new 151 and i go to desk top manager

its there when i click on it it tells me no update for my device?

Highlighted
Contributor

Don't use DM use  Loader.exe

From the OP tutorial above

1. Download the installer for BlackBerry Storm OS 4.7.0.151,
  2. Ensure that you remove any previous OS installation files from your machine (thanks to CrackBurglar for reminding me of this!)
  3. Run the .exe, which installs the OS installation files to your machine,
  4. Connect your device to your PC,
  5. Backup your device’s data and third-party applications by running the backup utility in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager,
  6. Traverse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor.xml file
  7. Open Loader.exe and follow the on-screen instructions, which will install the new OS
  8. Don’t touch anything until the operating is complete! Once the setup is complete, and your phone reboots, you should be able to use it once again!

Trusted Contributor

thank you that helped  i apprieciate it
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530

After a whole bunch of minutes...I still have the spinning clock hands...so far it has been about 9 minutes...

I am hoping this is not a paperweight...jsanders, you know my luck with these things...LOL.

Now it is stuck on the two icons and no connection...oh boy...and an small earthquake to top it off.

Arrrgg...