Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Two blackberry phones syncing to same Outlook site

My wife and I are new Blackberry owners and we both want to use the same contacts and calendar on our phones via Outlook. Is there any issues I should be aware of when we both sync to the same Outlook site?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Two blackberry phones syncing to same Outlook site

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you want to use the same calendar and settings. You both sync from the desktop manager.

Each device is recognized via PIN so it is unique. I would select one device to put the backup files in a

different directory just for safety sake.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks   

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

I'd like to ask a few add-on questions regarding setting up two actively used BB devices to synch with a single Outlook .pst ( contacts & calendar ) on a Vista machine.

I currently use a 7100t ( T-Mobile ) in-sync with MS Office Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate using DM 4.2.1.8. It works fine.

Wife just purchased an 8310 Curve ( AT&T ) and wants to sync with Calendar and Contacts. Ideally, she only needs a subset of the contacts ( those assigned to our "personal" category )

Before I jump in to adding the new phone to the "mix", I'd welcome any appropriate high-level guidance!

?? I imagine I have to install the DM provided with the new 8310 ( or will 4.2.1.8 work with 8310? ). Do I uninstall 4.2.1.8? Or will the new DM install as an upgrade on top of the existing 4.2.1.8? Or exist in parallel to it ( serving only the new phone)? If 4.2.1.8 ends up going away, will the 7100t be compatible with the new version of the DM?

?? Either way, I expect a field re-mapping will be required. Correct?

?? I wonder if I need to create separate profile or login in Vista or Outlook so DM will differentiate between our phones, or will the DM software handle differentiating between the two BBs, and manage any desired synch differences?

?? Can I reasonably expect that both BBs ( and Outlook user ) will be able to initiate changes and push them to the others via sync? Any caveats for synching in a two BB world? ( beyond those for a single BB sync with Outlook )

?? Any known Vista problems with this?

?? Will the DM allow me to filter contacts for synching using the Category field? or is there a better way to do this?

?? Any other issues I should consider?

Thanks in advance!!

mjfairman

New Contributor

As I did not get decisive answers to the questions I posted, I have muddled through with apparent success.  I share the following success about using a 7105 and 8310 with Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate.

DM version 4.2.1.8 ( from Jan 2007 ) works with both phones.  I did not have to upgrade to the version of DM recommended for the 8310.

The phones can both by sync'd to the same instance of Outlook 2007 ( contacts & calendar ) without creating separate user profiles.  I have not run into any problems with the 4.2.1.8 version of DM / Media Manager for sharing files between the 8310 and my Vista machine. I did have to verify that the DM field mapping for the 8310 was the same as I'd previously been using for the 7105.

Using the DM software, the set of data each BB syncs with can be selected to be different.

New Contributor

Hello.  This is my first post on this site and it seems like a very useful resource. 

Anyways, I have two BB devices that I'm hoping to sync to MS Outlook (on my laptop).  The 1st BB device synced fine.  When I try to sync the 2nd BB device, everything thing goes normal for a minute, but right when it appear to be syncing, shuts down as if I never commenced a sync in the first place. 

Any help is great appreciated!

RLee in San Francisco Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there and Welcome to the Forums!

Since it's your first post...I'll be gentle! Smiley Tongue

First thing -- notice that this thread is already marked as solved. As such, the experts who are around here may or may not notice that you've posted something new. Solved threads are supposed to be used for research -- if it does not solve someones problem, it's best that they open a new thread (with links to the threads that they researched) so that we can all most quickly realize that someone needs new help.

That said, all I can advise you to do is look back in this thread and, if the solutions here don't help, open a new thread so that the experts can find you.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks much!  I'll post a new thread.

rlee205