Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: A T and T

Two problems

1. I am trying to change which emails get forwarded to my phone. When I go to the user name screen and put it in with password, response is that the user name is invalid as it must be 4 characters. It is about 20 characters. Does it matter that I just changed the user name today? But that has nothing to do with the number of characters.

2. When I hold down the key to my most used email inbox and click on Full Menu, then click on Options, it opens to the page to change wall paper, and won't leave there.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Two problems

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness shows up, the first thing to try is a proper reboot:

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.

See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I am a great fan of the unplugging technique. I have done so today, but out or respect for your quick response, I did so again. Thus far we are 0 for 2.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Sorry to have wasted your time...of course, you did not reveal that you'd already tried that, and my clairvoyance app has not been working properly as of late. ;-)

Since we have now discovered one thing you've already tried, that fact increases the possibility that you have also already tried other not-yet-revealed things. So, before we proceed (and to avoid further wasting of your time), please list out exactly all that you have already tried and exactly the results of each attempt.

Thanks and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Beyond unplugging, I am not that clever. That's all I have tried- other than trying open and/or reenter again and again (which as we know is the definition of insanity). I am a heavy user but not very tech savvy. In former work lives I had "others" who would fix it for me.

Hall of Famer III

OK thank you...now we can proceed...

macmccabe wrote:

1. I am trying to change which emails get forwarded to my phone. When I go to the user name screen and put it in with password, response is that the user name is invalid as it must be 4 characters. It is about 20 characters. Does it matter that I just changed the user name today? But that has nothing to do with the number of characters.

Please explain this very carefully...the words you used could come from multiple different interfaces on your device, so I cannot tell exactly which you are looking at. For example, "user name" exists in multiple different screens for multiple different purposes...we need to know precisely which interface you are using. The best way to communicate which it is can be achieved by providing the commands you use, in order, starting at the homescreen...e.g.:

• Homescreen > Settings > Email Setup > etc. etc. etc.

That way, we can best know exactly what screen you are on. Further, when you get to the screen that is the problem, please describe it in full so that we can fully understand what is happening, and where on the screen it is happening. If you have the ability to add screen shots to your post (sanitized, of course, masking out all personal details), that helps a great deal as well.

Likewise, whenever presented with an error message, providing here the exact and complete content of the error message is also important. Many error messages can be quite similar, but have very different meanings...knowing exactly which you are being presented with helps us to properly understand your situation, which is of course a prerequisite to providing you with useful help.

macmccabe wrote:

2. When I hold down the key to my most used email inbox and click on Full Menu, then click on Options, it opens to the page to change wall paper, and won't leave there.

I assume, by "the key" you mean the Logo_Blue.gif key? "the key" could mean many different things. Further, does not the ESC key (the arrow turning back on itself) not exit that screen?  

In any event, I do suggest the following. With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts.

Good luck!

Contributor

1. While I have owned the phone for three years, I have no recollection that I ever had a user name. My use is almost exclusively phone, address, calendar with some browsing. So, yesterday I went to Torch 9800 on the computer and created a user name, password (hence how I found you). I want to remove the one forwarded email account and one dead email account, so I went to Setup>email accounts. It opens to existing users, and I am to put in user name and password. As I had no other that I was aware of, I put in the aforementioned new user name (email address) and password. Response: "user name is invalid. a user name must be at least 4 characters." The email address I entered is about 20 characters.

2. When I hold down my finger on the one active forwarded email account, it offers a menu. I click on Full Menu and then Options, and it opens to Home screen preferences on the page that offers a wallpaper change (which I did change yesterday). I can back up and don't dare hit the red Reset to default settings.

I hope this is helpful and am grateful for your detailed queries. I have not tackled the two wifi recommendations you made yet but will report in.

Contributor

I have now registered. By message app, I assume you mean the existing forwarded email address? How long does that take? It's been about 15 minutes. I assume I have to await that before your step 2?
Hall of Famer III

macmccabe wrote:

1. While I have owned the phone for three years, I have no recollection that I ever had a user name. My use is almost exclusively phone, address, calendar with some browsing. So, yesterday I went to Torch 9800 on the computer and created a user name, password (hence how I found you). I want to remove the one forwarded email account and one dead email account, so I went to Setup>email accounts. It opens to existing users, and I am to put in user name and password. As I had no other that I was aware of, I put in the aforementioned new user name (email address) and password. Response: "user name is invalid. a user name must be at least 4 characters." The email address I entered is about 20 characters.

In red...what, exactly, did you do? Some website on your computer? Again, since I cannot see you, I cannot know what you did there...and, since we're talking about the internet, the possibilities are nearly endless. Exactness from you again is required so that I can understand what you did.

It sounds like you might have created a BBID, or perhaps BIS credentials. If you created a BBID but your carrier has not yet linked their BIS system to BBID, then you actually now need the BIS credentials rather than the BBID credentials that you created.

But, again, there is still so much in what you've said that I cannot clearly, from the words, understand...I am really having to guess wildly here...and I could be completely wrong.

macmccabe wrote:

2. When I hold down my finger on the one active forwarded email account, it offers a menu. I click on Full Menu and then Options, and it opens to Home screen preferences on the page that offers a wallpaper change (which I did change yesterday). I can back up and don't dare hit the red Reset to default settings.

Hmmm...I'm not quite sure exactly what is supposed to happen there...what you say could be completely correct.

Can you provide your exact model number and complete OS level? I might have a simulator I can run to try and see if I can replicate this.

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of the operating system on a BlackBerry smartphone

macmccabe wrote:

I have not tackled the two wifi recommendations you made yet but will report in.

I don't understand...I gave you no recommendations (well, none that I can see in reviewing this thread) related to wifi...

Hall of Famer III

macmccabe wrote:
I have now registered.

OK good...so that's step 1 (of 3) from my 3-step recommendations. But, to be clear...did you RECEIVE on the device the actual confirmation message (into your messages app)? Or did you just see a popup notification window, something like "registration message sent"?

macmccabe wrote:
By message app, I assume you mean the existing forwarded email address?

I mean the messages app on your device. The icon should indeed say "Messages". Such is the "unified messaging" methodology on BlackBerry where the user gets to choose if they want all messages from all conduits coming to one place (the Messages app) or if they instead want to split some of their messaging conduits (email addresses, SMS/MMS, BBM, etc.) out to icons of their own. For this issue, the required message will be received to the Messages icon/app, nowhere else (the message is direct between the device and the BIS infrastructure, not associated to any email account, SMS, etc.).

macmccabe wrote:
How long does that take? It's been about 15 minutes. I assume I have to await that before your step 2?

It should be almost immediate. I'd wait maybe an hour at the most. And, as the instructions clearly state, you must wait for the proper completion of each step before proceeding to the next step...no assumption on your part is required, as I clearly stated such above.

If it never arrives, then you fall out of the process to the end...contact your mobile service provider for formal support. For some reason, your device and their network are unable to properly communicate with each other, and only they can look at their systems to figure out why that is happening.

Good luck!