Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: A T and T

Re: Two problems

First, let me say that I have never had anyone in a forum reply in so timely and clear a manner. And when you ask for precision, I understand why that is so important to you.

I went to the site below and created a user id and password. It was via this site that I found you.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/smartphones/blackberry-torch-9800/get-started.html

I apologize for having totally misspoken with the WIFI comment, a lapse in thinking. I was referring to the two direction you gave regarding Register HRT and Service Book directions. That being said, I have not received a confirmation and in fact have never had a Messages icon on my phone. When it was purchased at A T and T store and various components installed, what remained were to email addresses for forwarded email (one was never used), the text message icon. facebook and a redundant icon called Social Feeds.

KB23393 sends me to a location saying it's not retrievable. I believe the information you seek is BB9800 6.0 Bundle2647 V6.0.0.600 Platform 6.6.0.233.

Contributor

Well, nothing has arrived. And again no Message icon to receive it. I had never had a need before, so never noticed that it was missing. I now will enter the quagmire of A T and T, or since the store is down the street, I may go bother them. I was planning on getting  a new phone (I hate changing hardware), and this may be an incentive to speed up the process.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

macmccabe wrote:

First, let me say that I have never had anyone in a forum reply in so timely and clear a manner.

We strive, here on this site, to be the best available anywhere...and it's 100% voluntary. You just happen to have me at a time of my day when I am at my computer...such is not the case 24/7.

macmccabe wrote:

I went to the site below and created a user id and password. It was via this site that I found you.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/smartphones/blackberry-torch-9800/get-started.html

I'm sorry, but I don't find, anywhere on that page, anywhere to create an account...did you perhaps navigate deeper than the URL you provided? If, for example, you then selected "Support Forums", then you likely simple came to this site (these forums) and created an account here, which does not do anything for anything else...that account is solely for these forums, nothing to do with your device whatsoever.

macmccabe wrote:

I apologize for having totally misspoken with the WIFI comment, a lapse in thinking. I was referring to the two direction you gave regarding Register HRT and Service Book directions. That being said, I have not received a confirmation and in fact have never had a Messages icon on my phone. When it was purchased at A T and T store and various components installed, what remained were to email addresses for forwarded email (one was never used), the text message icon. facebook and a redundant icon called Social Feeds.

Perhaps they hid your main Messages icon, or perhaps moved it to a different Homescreen panel or sub-panel? I have to admit to very limited experience on your OS level, though (I basically went from OS5, to OS7, to OS7.1, and now on BB10)...hence my need to get a simulator running so as to better see how it all actually works on your OS level.

macmccabe wrote:

KB23393 sends me to a location saying it's not retrievable.

"not retrievable"? Is that the exact message? I know 100% that KB exists (I actually was looking at it when I linked to it in my post above). Sometimes, the KB system gets slow, and sometimes it goes down. So one has to keep trying sometimes in order to get the result.

macmccabe wrote:
I believe the information you seek is BB9800 6.0 Bundle2647 V6.0.0.600 Platform 6.6.0.233.

Yup...that's what I need to see if I can find a simulator that is close enough. BTW...for future reference, the most important portions of that is "BB9800" (for specific model number) and "v6.0.0.600" (for BB OS level). Give me some time to see if I've got (or can find) something that is close enough.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

In-hand support (which, btw, is one of the methods, unlike this site, to receive true "formal" support) may well be your best option. If the registration message doesn't arrive, then that is actually a fatal problem between the device and the carrier data network, which only the carrier can resolve. (Assuming, of course, that the Messages app isn't hidden or otherwise not as easily visible as it should be on your initial homescreen.)

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

FYI...I found a simulator (6.0.0.706, but that's close enough), and here is what the default homescreen looks like (and it includes a Messages app/icon):

capture.png

With BB (legacy), the Message app always has to exist, as it's actually the app that controls all messaging functions on the device (email, SMS, etc.). Other icons can be created that will filter, from Messages, the items specific to that additional icon -- e.g., create a separate email icon and see the emails pertaining only to that email account via that icon --  and they are also then suppressed from the main Messages icon/app. But, it's actually the Messages app that is doing all of the work...the other icons are basically just filters, drawing from Messages (and suppressing display inside of Messages) those items that pertain to them.

So it's a bit of a challenge to understand why your Messages icon/app isn't available...for it needs to be. Indeed, those filters/separate icons can be created for many types of accounts, but not for everything. There is a subset of messages that will only be delivered to the main Messages App/Icon (e.g., the HRT result, some other notifications, etc.) and hence that icon must remain available to the user in order to receive/act on those specific items (since they aren't visible anywhere else). I've no idea what the rep who set your device up did...but they really should not have hidden away the Messages icon, for it actually is rather important.

On this main homescreen (All), however, please do this...press the Logo_Blue.gif and select "Show All"...this will display (dimmed) any icons that have been hidden...and allow you to unhide them. Also then dig into other homescren panes and sub-folders, also with Show All active, and see if the Messages Icon has been both hidden and moved from the main panel.

Contributor

Ha!

Messages was hidden and Registration was received. Fascinating!

Hall of Famer III

Excellent! Now you can proceed to step 2...

Contributor

I have succesfully deleted the two email accounts (Yay!). Now to add in the new connection. This is actually sort of fun when one has a guide like you.

Hall of Famer III

Ummm...that's not step 2...have I missed something?

Contributor

Indeed you are precise. In the first part of Step 2, I deleted the two service books. I now have to install a new service book, which I can't do until later.