Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9520, BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: TMN

UMA on BlackBerry Storm 2 9520

Dear Community,

I've been feeling around to see if I could get UMA working on my BlackBerry Storm 9520, but unfortunately I've had no luck (Not even the engineering screen has it where it's supposed to be otherwise)

However, when I purchased my Storm (secondhand), I did do so based on this page:
http://uk.blackberry.com/devices/blackberrystorm/storm_specifications.jsp

Which is an official BlackBerry page about the Storm specifications, and which explicitly states UMA is supported.

Please assist if you can.

Thanks,

X.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: UMA on BlackBerry Storm 2 9520

Hello,

Yes, it does say this:

• Support for UMA (carrier-dependent)

So, what does your carrier (TMN, according to your profile) say about it? If they have not implemented UMA, or if they do but you are not subscribed to an adequate plan from them to enable it, then it won't be available, even if the handset itself can support it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I'm an English speaker, and TMN is Portuguese. It's hard to get any kind of decent support from them.

Mainly my biggest concern is that I don't even find it in the Engineering Console where it is supposed to be - Would that be carrier-dependent too? Could the carrier software have "not installed" UMA, which would then not show up in the Engineering Console as an option?

Thanks,
X.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

I have no idea what this "Engineering Console" is that you speak of. But, access to UMA services requires several things, and each of these are in order of precedence...e.g., item 1 must exist in order for item 2 to even be relevant, etc..

1. The carrier must have installed the neccesary infrastructure (bridges and such) between the Internet and their voice system, so as to bridge their voice traffic over to IP
  2. The end user may have to subscribe to an adequate data plan from the carrier to activate UMA...I have no way to know if your carrier requires a specific inclusion, in your data plan, of UMA services
  3. The BB must be properly and fully registered to the carrier data network, with installation therefore to the BB of all necessary Service Books, additional software, etc. I've no idea what your carrier would specifically require in this regard.

With those all in place, then UMA services should function. The good news is that your model BB is natively supported by their network, so the "tricks" of getting a non-native BB to work on their network would not be required.

So, sadly, what is necessary is for you to find a way to communicate with your carrier and find out if #1 is true, then if #2 is true (or what you need to do to make it true), and then make sure you conduct whatever they require for #3 to come true. But, again, if #1 is not true, then nothing else will matter as they don't support UMA under any conditions.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the effort. The engineering console is the console you can access after entering a code in the "Help me!" screen, which allows you greater access to the inner workings of the BB.

As I will be moving out of the country to an English speaking country in a few weeks, what I'll probably do is go to all three major carriers there and give them the straightforward "Do you support UMA" question.

In reference to the "natively supported", it wasn't actually the case, as my BB is a secondhand model from Australia, and I had to unlock it and perform some tricks to get the "TMN" version of the OS installed. It may not have worked entirely, but I'm looking into that myself now.

X.
Hall of Famer III

Xumtiil wrote:
Thanks for the effort. The engineering console is the console you can access after entering a code in the "Help me!" screen, which allows you greater access to the inner workings of the BB.

Then you have more "power" than most.

Xumtiil wrote:

As I will be moving out of the country to an English speaking country in a few weeks, what I'll probably do is go to all three major carriers there and give them the straightforward "Do you support UMA" question.

It is always best to know what the carrier actually supports before paying them any money.

Xumtiil wrote:

In reference to the "natively supported", it wasn't actually the case, as my BB is a secondhand model from Australia, and I had to unlock it and perform some tricks to get the "TMN" version of the OS installed. It may not have worked entirely, but I'm looking into that myself now.

Neither the pre-requesite of unlocking nor deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s) were the "tricks" to which I was referring...those are quite normal steps that one must take to a) use a BB on any network that does not match the VendorID code embedded into the BB and b) use an OS package that comes from a carrier other than that which matches the VendorID code (note that it is not required to use the TMN OS package on your BB, unless perhaps they specifically required it for UMA, but that would be quite unusual indeed).

Rather, what I was referring to was the Service Books -- TMN shows, on the official download portal, that they support the 9520...which means that their system should automatically push the necessary Service Books to your BB. If they did not support the 9520, then there would have been the need to extract SBs from a functioning (on the TMN network) other BB (using Legacy SB Restore mode) and import those to your BB in order for it to have functional BB-proprietary services from the TMN network. As I said, you are fortunate that such was not required as it is a rather tedious process, and only rarely actually successful.

Good luck!

New Contributor

You just saved me the trouble of asking one of the carriers of the country where I'm going. I know they don't have the Storm 2 OS for download from the BlackBerry software site, and they also don't sell it or have never sold it, so chances are they don't even support this phone at all.

That might have been a cold shower to discover afterwards.
Thanks!

X.
Hall of Famer III

You are most welcome...good luck!