Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange UK
Accepted Solution

UMA stopped working - no choice for preferred connection

I have had a 9800 on Orange UK for just over a month now and all of a sudden in the last few days it has stopped connecting using UMA.

Also the option to choose a preferred connection has disappeared from the Mobile Network Options menu.

I am not aware I updated the software or anything else which could have caused the problem.

I hope someone can help me as I need UMA at home as we don't have network coverage in my area.

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: UMA stopped working - no choice for preferred connection

[ Edited ]

Hello Gordon,

Just curious if you have tried the obligatory "battery pull" to see if that doesn't resolve your issue.

With the power ON, go ahead and open the battery cover, remove the battery, wait about a minute then replace the battery, allowing the device to boot up.

Most niggling issues like this can be corrected with that method.  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor

I sure did (twice) but nothing changed!

This is my first BB (which I only really bought as it supported UMA) but I have been loving it.

Forums Veteran I

Well, then we've exhausted my knowledge on the subject, as I am on AT&T here in the States, which doesn't utilize UMA.

I'm sure someone else will wander along and be of assistance, though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor

I appeciate the try, out of interest do you have a drop down for connection preference in your Mobile Options Menu?

I think this disappearing is the problem and I wondered if it was there for non UMA network phones.

Forums Veteran I

If you're talking about Network Mode, then yes......on AT&T it's 3G & 2G, or 2G only.

Contributor

Hi

No it's a third section on that screen, you obviously don't have it!

Basically it allows you to choose if the phone should use wifi (UMA) before cellular or the other way round if both are available.

Forums Veteran I

Gotcha.  Have you tried recycling your router, or is this something that's prevalent wherever you are?

Contributor

wifi works fine for internet and email just not for UMA.

Hopefully someone will chip in with a solution.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi

I have Torch and am on Orange. I too lost UMA probably 3 or 4 days ago now and have also lost the settings options under manage connections. I'm starting to think it is a network problem now.