Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: playbook / bold 9700
My Carrier: bell

USB card reader

I want to download photos from my DSLR Sd card into the playbook.  Has this been enabled in the new OS2 release and if so- where can I get a card reader to fit the playbooks USB connector

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell (have Blackberry Curve phone)

Re: USB card reader

Like the question, need the answer.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there are some wifi card readers on the market

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Bell

I share your pain!

I have been searching online for a while and I even tried a few solutions.  I would like to use the Playbook as a travel device, that is leave the laptop and computer at home and just travel with my Playbook and camera.   I am surprised that RIM did not release such an adapter, its easy in concept: [ memory card from camera or camera itself ] > [memory card or USB cable adapter ] > Playbook > computer(or no computer at all!). The Playbook is a perfectly sized travel companion to stay connected and act as a backup device when taking pictures.

My first solution was to try a USB OTG adapter but it was unsuccessful.  I was hoping to connect my camera by a USB 2.0 to micro USB OTG adapter and have it show up in the file browser where I can save it to the Playbook and then upload to a cloud service.

My second solution is an Eye-Fi card.  I am waiting for it to arrive and am eager to test it. I know its pricey, but from what I found online it should work.  I really wished I could have gone with a SD card reader from RIM similar in concept to a certain device made by a fruit-themed company but I guess this will have to do.  The plan is simple, use the Eye-Fi card to create a wifi network, connect to the Playbook and upload my pictures to my Playbook.  From there I can either leave it or upload to a cloud service or to a computer.  This way if anything happens to my camera at least some of my pictures are safe on my Playbook and from there I can copy them to the cloud or to my computer. Note, other people have posted on the Eye-Fi forum and I am being optimistic that there will be an Eye-Fi app out for the Playbook.  There already is one for the other two tablet OS platforms. I had to sideload the app for the time being and once I get the card I will give it a try.  I wish that I could use my existing large capacity SD/Memory Stick cards and continually copy to the Playbook but the Eye-Fi will have to do.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000; Playbook 64 GB
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi Poglavnik,

I'm struggling with the same issue. Travveling with camera and the PB. No laptop.
The Eye-Fi should be a nice (but expensive) solution. Be sure to buy the X2 version. That is able to build his own wifi network to which the PlayBook can connect. The problem could be that a dedicated app is needed to get access to the files.
Me myself I have tried to connect my Blackberry phone through Bridge. I can see the files so the PB file-manager has access however all the third party file managers can't get access to my microSDCard on the phone. Maybe because security reasons. Hopefully OS 2.1 will give the developers the right API for full access. Keep you informed.