Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: curve 9320
My Carrier: 447591156964

USING PHONE WITHOUT DATA PLAN

I know this may seem a daft question but if i buy an unlocked curve 9320 will it work without data plan or blackberry bolt on i just want it for calls and messages 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: USING PHONE WITHOUT DATA PLAN

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Depending on what exactly you mean by "messages", the answer is yes or no...there are many different subsets of "messages".

For calls and SMS only, no data plan is required. For MMS, email, BBM, and any other IM type of messages, a full BB-level data plan is required.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: curve 9320
My Carrier: 447591156964

Hi thank you i just want to text and rec texts and make and rec calls will it work ok without data plan
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Keep in mind that the carrier is in control...some will not allow a BB onto their network without a proper BIS plan. Others will allow it on with a generic data plan. Others still will allow it on for voice-level only services (calls and SMS). Each carrier owns their network, and gets to decide these things. You really should talk to your intended carrier before you make your device purchase.

Honestly, for what you are talking about doing, a BB is way overkill. There are plenty of other devices out there for much less money that will do all you are asking to do.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: NA

I recently bought an "unlocked" Blackberry 9780 with no plan and used a pay as you go SIM I had from different phone, works perfect. I have WIFI at home, HOTSPOT outdoor. Still have not figured out how to get SKPE fully working. I log to SKYPE and see my skype page but can't see my contact lists. If you plan to buy go to<mobilekarma> and buy a used but very very clean forvery good price. You can also find them on ebay.