Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Ubertwitter

Hi All

I am new to the Blackberry family and have recently downloaded the Ubertwitter app. Unfortunatley when i go to open the app the error "Ubertwitter has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy" I am not working through a Blackberry server but need to make a setting change somewhere in the application configuration. Please help!

Super Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8310

Re: Ubertwitter

Hello DKnight,

Welcome to the Blackberry Support Forums. I've moved your post into this section to increase the visibility and the chances of your question being answered. You will quickly notice that there are many helpful members around the forums so feel free to check back in often.

Enjoy

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Hello and welcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity!

I am not familiar with the IT stuff - just wanted to welcome you to the forums!!  Someone will be helping you soon

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

DKnight wrote:

Hi All

I am new to the Blackberry family and have recently downloaded the Ubertwitter app. Unfortunatley when i go to open the app the error "Ubertwitter has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy" I am not working through a Blackberry server but need to make a setting change somewhere in the application configuration. Please help!

Hello!

It sounds like there is an IT Policy on your device...so a couple of questions...

1) Is this a corporate BB? If so, then they may well have restricted this (they can do that). You would need to see your IT folks for assistance.

2) Is this strictly a personal BB, but you have allowed it to be activated on BES with your company? If so, then item 1 still applies.

3) Is this strictly a personal BB and BES has never been activated on it? If so, then you have some digging to do...

3a) Go to Options > Security Options > General Settings...near the bottom of the screen, there may be two sections...one for IT Policy Name and another for Services.

3b) Do those two sections exist?

3c) If so, what do they say?

Let us know...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: blackberry curve

hey guys! 

i was having similar problems as well... so i just simply disabled the firewall... technically HOW bad is that for ur bberry?

thanks

~ curious 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

thinkboardinj wrote:

so i just simply disabled the firewall... technically HOW bad is that for ur bberry?

not much, it just depends on how much you trust the developer of Über Twitter. Basically, without the firewall activated, they can (if they have coded it that way) take all your contacts and send them to their own servers, as well as all your emails and SMS.

yet again, why would they want to do that ? It's not an Etisalat subsidiary at all Smiley Very Happy

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

Mine says:

IT Policy Name: Default

Last Updated: Feb. 19, 2009

Services:

***no services***

I fixed this a few months back when I installed UberTwitter, but have forgotten since then what to do to fix.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Dnice808 wrote:

Mine says:

IT Policy Name: Default

Last Updated: Feb. 19, 2009

Services:

***no services***

I fixed this a few months back when I installed UberTwitter, but have forgotten since then what to do to fix.

With it stating an IT Policy name, that means that there is an IT Policy on the device, and you cannot change the things that it forbids. Indeed, there's no simple way that I know of to even see what the forbidden things are. If the device is not a corporate BES-enabled device, then there should be no IT Policy section whatsoever -- I don't think that any carriers are putting IT Policies on the devices that they sell, but I could be wrong.

The best way to rid yourself of the IT Policy is to reset the device to true factory fresh condition. This is 100% destructive, so make sure you've taken a complete backup first (see inside the instructions below for a subtle point -- don't backup/restore the Policy!). Also make note of any configuration items you need, 3rd party apps you've installed, etc. At the end of this process, your device will be as if it just came out of manufacturing. But, the IT Policy will be gone -- as it should be. Just be triple-sure that you have all you need before your do this.

OK -- enough warnings. Here's the process:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?message.uid=269661#U269661

Follow carefully all of the steps in the process. Don't assume anything...if you aren't sure, check before proceeding. For instance, the very first thing the process says is to be sure you've installed, to your PC, the latest RIM Desktop software plus the latest device OS for your BB. Note that the second part there has nothing to do with your BB...your carrier releases your device OS as an installation file to your PC, which interfaces via the RIM DTM software to update your BB (and keep it up to date).  Many miss that subtle point and think they are fine as long as they have that latest OS on their device -- not so, that latest OS needs to have been installed atop the RIM DTM on the PC so that it is available during the process of resetting your device back to factory condition.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

I am having the same problem, however, I do not have any section for IT policy and under services it says ***no services***
Highlighted

there are no services listed in mine either and i also have this problem, is there any other way to fix this without going thru all the trouble of restoring my BB to factory settings?