05-29-2014 09:59 AM
My blackberry was reset back to OS 7.0 and when i try to update my software to OS 7.1 i get the following error "The download cannot continue because your device cannot to the update server using any of the following methods: Wi-fi" and my wifi is off..please help!!!!
05-29-2014 05:03 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
It sounds like you are attempting an over-the-air update...not recommended. The reason for that is the OTA update takes an on-device backup of your data, from which it restores when the process succeeds. But, if the process fails for certain reasons, that backup is lost forever...along with all of your data. Hence, I never recommend doing an OTA update.
Rather, I recommend using the PC/USB method. The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.
2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.
6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:
If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:
Good luck and let us know!