Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

SG7
Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Unable to access Internet at WiFi Hot Spots such Starbucks

Ok.  I have scoured the forums here and practically everywhere possible on the net with out any luck at finding an answer for almost a month.  I am currently on Prepaid cards through Fido. I bought a BB Curve about a month ago because I was told it had built in WiFi. 

I have no problems connecting it to my home wireless network.  Weather I have it secured or unsecured.  I have no problems connecting to any open or secured wireless network.  Where I do have a problem is when I go to places like Starbucks where it has a log-in Screen.  Then I am unable to connect at all.

I scan for networks, it finds the network.  I select the network.  It then says it's connected.  Then I go to try and go onto the internet and it just gives me a blank white screen.  As of right now I am finding that my BlackBerry is just a useless paperweight since mainly I got it to use at Starbucks since that is where I am a lot of the time.

I have tried going to bell.ca and seeing if I could access it that way (as I read somewhere to try this), still no luck.  My question is, why would I be told that it has built in wifi if it only works on certain networks?  Is it able to be used on networks that have a login screen or is it not able to?  And is there something I am doing wrong?  It is showing the bell hotspot name when it says connected.  And I made sure I have it set as wifi mode.  I have had other devices (Palm Pilot) that have had no problems connecting.  What is the point of built in wifi if it won't work on ALL wifi networks?

Ultimately what I want to know, is how to get my BlackBerry to bring up the login pages of these "hot spots"?  Weather at Starbucks, Libraries, other coffee shops etc.?

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Unable to access Internet at WiFi Hot Spots such Starbucks

I can't guarantee that this will work, but it is worthwhile trying.  After you open your browser to connect to a wifi hotspot, press the BB Menu button and select Options and choose Browser Configuration.  Then, under the browser setting, try changing it to "Hotspot Browser."

Does that help?  If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get my Storm2 to connect at Starbucks or another hotspot later today.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

SG7
Contributor

I will check at Starbucks tomorrow & see if I can select that when I go there.  It was already set to that however.  And does not give me options for anything else but "Hotspot Browser"

SG7
Contributor

Iam currently at Starbucks now and tried what you suggested and as you can see it actually worked! Thanx! Huge Kudos!!!
Highlighted
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Awesome!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!