Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-16-2012
My Device: 9780 Bold
My Carrier: Singtel

Unable to access wifi

Hi guys,

 

currently im using a BB 9780 Bold without a 3G plan and my wifi access just got screwed up, basically even though the phone itself says im connected to the hotspot/wifi network, i am actually still unable to use the  internet services or social networking sites. Could there be anything wrong with my configuration for my wireless options or is there anything i can do to solve my problem?

 

Thanks =D

Super Contributor
Posts: 329
Registered: ‎01-27-2012
My Device: Z10, 9900
My Carrier: Robbers

Re: Unable to access wifi

Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan?

If not, you may want to call your carrier and ask about one.
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-16-2012
My Device: 9780 Bold
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Unable to access wifi

ok i dont have a data plan but when i actually turn on data services mobile network options i can access the internet. however, would this then fall under the usage of data plan which would then incur more cost since im actually not under the plan  itself?

New Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
My Device: Blackberry Curve OS6
My Carrier: globe

Re: Unable to access wifi

you may want to try these options. a)on browser configuration, select "hotspot browser"; b)deselect wi-fi, then restore it; c)do battery pull. u wont be charged on ur data plan. hope this works! Smiley Happy
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-16-2012
My Device: 9780 Bold
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Unable to access wifi

sorry but may i know how i can access browser configuration?

Super Contributor
Posts: 329
Registered: ‎01-27-2012
My Device: Z10, 9900
My Carrier: Robbers

Re: Unable to access wifi

Pretty sure that the 9780 does not have the option for Hotspot Browser configuration

You really should contact your carrier madmanlee.
Posts: 94,479
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unable to access wifi


madmanlee wrote:

ok i dont have a data plan but when i actually turn on data services mobile network options i can access the internet. however, would this then fall under the usage of data plan which would then incur more cost since im actually not under the plan  itself?


To use ANY data, whether from the Mobile Network or through WiFi, your Data Services MUST be on.

This is not a glitch, it's working as designed.

 

Data Services = OFF = no data, period, including WiFi.

Data Services = ON = WiFi hotspot browser will work.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-16-2012
My Device: 9780 Bold
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Unable to access wifi


JSanders wrote:
To use ANY data, whether from the Mobile Network or through WiFi, your Data Services MUST be on.

This is not a glitch, it's working as designed.

 

Data Services = OFF = no data, period, including WiFi.

Data Services = ON = WiFi hotspot browser will work.

 

 


wouldnt that mean i would incur de costs for data usage?
Posts: 94,479
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unable to access wifi


madmanlee wrote:
wouldnt that mean i would incur de costs for data usage?


Not if that data is moving over the WiFi connection. WiFi data is not charged against your mobile data.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code