Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: BTC

Unable to connect to BIS using wifi

Hi, I have had my BB Torch 9810 for a few months now. I would occasionally subscribe to a data plan offered by our local provider. There were times when my data plan had lapsed and I'd use my bbm, whatsapp, and send emails using wifi. Recently, my data plan lapsed again, but this time I'm not ale to use bbm, whatsapp, or send emails using wifi. When I checked the settings on the connection, it says that it's not connected to the blackberry Internet server. This is the first time ever that this has happened to me. Does this mean that I MUST subscribe to a data plan in order to use my bbm, whatsapp, or email?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unable to connect to BIS using wifi

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Yes. Those services are proprietary BB services, and require subscription to an adequate data plan in order to enable them, regardless of the pathway (WiFi versus carrier data network) is used for them. I'd say you simply were lucky those prior times, and they have finally caught up with you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: BTC

Re: Unable to connect to BES using wifi

Is the same with regards to the blackberry enterprise server? The settings are showing that there is no connection with the blackberry enterprise server.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unable to connect to BES using wifi

That item only applies if you are on corporate/BES (and, typically, you'd know if you are). If you are not, then that one is irrelevant.

But, for background, when one subscribes to a BES plan from a carrier (in order to use their corporate BES services), they also are usually granted full BIS services, which includes BBM, personal email, etc. But, to have BIS services, one does not have to also subscribe to BES.

BES normally includes BIS, but BIS is also available stand alone (typically...things can vary quite widely by carrier).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................