Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Unable to transfer files to Macbook via bluetooth (Bluetooth sharing is on)

Hey guys,

I'm using a Blackberry Style 9670, running on OS 6.0 Bundle 3049. I am trying to send files via bluetooth to my Macbook Pro running on Mac OS X 10.7.4. I am able to send files from my Macbook to my Blackberry. My problem is that I am unable to send files from my Blackberry to my Macbook.

My Blackberry and Macbook are already paired (I have tried both initiating the pairing from my Blackberry and initiating the pairing from my Macbook, but I still cannot transfer files from my Blackberry). In my Macbook, under system preferences, Bluetooth sharing is ON. Both devices are discoverable.

I am able to transfer files from my Macbook to my Blackberry. However, when I try sending a file from my Blackberry to Macbook, it fails. The following are the steps I took:

1. Select photo in blackberry

2. Press menu button > send > bluetooth

3. Select Device: Macbook Pro

4. It then shows File Transfer and Connecting to Macbook Pro... 

Now, on my Macbook Pro, at the top right area, there is a dotted line (3 black dots/squares) through the Bluetooth symbol, which should mean that it is connecting. However, nothing pops up on my Macbook for me to accept the transfer.

After showing "File Transfer" and "Connecting to Macbook Pro..." for some time on my Blackberry, the following error shows up: "Transfer failed. See the manual for your bluetooth handsfree device."

This does not make any sense as I'm trying to send a file to my Macbook, which is not a handsfree device. 

One thing I've noticed on my Blackberry is that when I go to Setup > Bluetooth > Paired Devices > Macbook Pro > Device Properties > Services, it only states the following: Handsfree Audio Gateway, Handset Audio Gateway, Serial Port, Object Push and A/V Remote Control Target. It doesn't list anything like File Transfer or any of that sort. Could that be the problem? If so, how do I fix it? There wasn't any option for me to select the services I want to use when I was setting up the pairing (both Blackberry initiation and Macbook initiation).

If not, can someone please advise me on how I can fix this problem of not being able to transfer files from my Blackberry to my Macbook?

Thank you so much!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, Z10 and PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: Proximus (BE)

Re: Unable to transfer files to Macbook via bluetooth (Bluetooth sharing is on)

I know it doesn't fully answer your question if you really want the transfer to happen via BT (why would this be?).

Otherwise, just plug in a usb cable between the 2 devices and chose "usb device" on the popup screen of the BB and both the Blackberry phone and the SD card (if any) will appear on your Mac desktop as external drives.

From there, you will be able to access, copy ... whatever you want between the two devices.

------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Unable to transfer files to Macro via Bluetooth (Bluetooth sharing is on)

Yes, I know how to do transfers using the USB cable.

Since I know there's a problem with my Bluetooth, I would like to resolve it. This is so that when I do not have the USB cable with me (which is basically when I'm not at home), I can still transfer files over. Especially if it's just one file, I find it so much more convenient to just send it via Bluetooth. Hope this answers your "why should this be" question.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Unable to transfer files to Macro via Bluetooth (Bluetooth sharing is on)

Yes indeed, this results from your own choice, we will not argue about this.

From my experience, this has always proven difficult (not to say impossible) to receive files via BT on a Mac computer. I remember having tried this on several occasions, with several Mac computers and also different smartphones, so I would guess this problem lies more on the Mac than on the Blackberry side, if this helps.

Unfortunately, I did not find any solution myself ... from there the cable Smiley Wink

Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

By googling around ... I found this link :

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-transfer-files-between-your-blackberry-os-x-via-bluetooth/

Maybe if you check the procedure described in detail there it could help?

Keep us posted. 

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9360
My Carrier: Vodafone

I had a similar problem, when, on the BB, I clicked to send the file, a message showed-up saying "Failed to find service". I followed the link that @Messagepads posted and it solved my problem when I activated the Bluetooth sharing on the Mac
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks, @Messagepads for the link with the solution! The key (for me) was to turn on "Bluetooth Sharing" in Sharing under System Preferences.

The URL for the article you referenced above has changed. It is now:

https://gigaom.com/2009/06/18/how-to-transfer-files-between-your-blackberry-os-x-via-bluetooth/