Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Unable to turn Wi-Fi on

I bought my Bold last week and had most stuff set up including a wi-fi connection to my home network.  Now the connection is off and I can't turn on wi-fi.

When I check the Wi-Fi box in Manage Connections, it just grays out and dissappears in a few seconds.  When I Scan for Networks I get an error "Unable to turn on Wi-Fi"

Shutting off and on did not help. 

It worked before, I don't know why not now.

Thanks from a newbie

Re: Unable to turn Wi-Fi on

I am having the exact same problem...I've look through all of the related settings and can't seem to fix it...can anyone shed some light on this?

I am having the exact same problem...I've look through all of the related settings and can't seem to fix it...can anyone shed some light on this?
New Contributor

You will need to take out your battery, wait a couple of seconds and then put the battery back in.  You will notice that anytime your blackberry starts to act weird, taking out the battery usually solves the problem. Turning the phone off is sort of like putting your computer in standby more.  Taking battery out if like doing a shutdown/cold boot of a computer.
New Contributor

Pulling the battery did exactly as described.  All is well, once again.  I should have done this to begin with.  Sort of like fixing a mechanical problem with a big hammer.  Thanks. 
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

The answer for ORANGE UK users is:

It is a PROVISIONING ISSUE. This is something to do with BlackBerry changing some settings on the 'provisioning' on what can/can't use Wi-Fi and also Orange doing this and not cathcing up. Also it depends on what contract version Orange have you under. i.e. what deal etc...

Ring them up and tell them and they'll check it out and it should then work.

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem, resolved through a "soft reboot" using:

ALT + R-SHIFT + DEL

which forces the BB to reboot, without having to take out the battery

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: T.S.T.T

i am having the same problem. it all happened after i upgraded my device sofware to version 5. i tried all of what you guys mentioned to do but  nothing worked. when i downgraded my software and try to turn it on, the phone restarts. i eventually restored version 5 but it still comes up saying Unable to turn Wi-Fi on. what else shall i do??????????????????????????????????

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

ALT-RIGHTSHIFT-DEL

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Anytime your phone starts acting up, do a battery pull.  If that doesn't work and you wish to see if a certain function is actually working i.e. WiFi, GPS, camera, etc., go to Options>Status.  Some OS will require more steps to get to Status, so if you're on anything other than OS 5, poke around until you see it.

Once at the Status page, type in "test" (without the quotations).  Note that there will be no field to enter this and you'll see nothing appear on the screen while typing.  As Nike once said, just do it.

What will appear is the test mode in which anything or everything concerning the phone's operation can be tested.  Check the type of tests you wish to perform and proceed.

Doing so will let you know what, if anything, is not operational on your phone.

Many thanks to JSanders for this information.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.