Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9790

Unable to update 7.1 on Bold 9790

Hi

I am unable to update device software version 7.1 on my Bold 9790.  I already have 7.0 and keep getting this message on Desktop Manager that there is newer version 7.1 available.

Need support....

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Unable to update 7.1 on Bold 9790

So you connect to Desktop Software and get the update prompt.  What happens next that prevents the update from proceeding?

Please post back with your response.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Carrier: STC

Hi

after connecting through destop software, i click on update button.  the backup will start and after that i am getting this message "An error has occured while downloading software for your device. Please verify your internet connection and try again later, if the problem persist".  i dont know why i am getting this message as i am using 7.2mbps internet connection.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

[ Edited ]

Hi jawwad_karim

The problem is not with your Internet connection or speed,please go through this Knowledge Base article regarding this error :

KB31007 : "An error has occurred while downloading software for your device. Please verify your internet connection or try again later" appears while attempting to upgrade or install BlackBerry Device Software.

I hope ity will help.

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Carrier: STC

Hi Prince

Thanks - I tried both the options mentioned in KB31007 however non of them worked.  i am connected to a domain, is this could be a reason.  Please advise.

Regards

Elite II

Hi jawwad_karim

Yes it might be the reason , you can try a manual update just downloading the OS file from your Carrier and install it on your personal PC or laptop ,Do a complete backup using BlackBerry Desktop software then disconnect your internet from the pc then use loader.exe to load the new OS to your device, try it this way :

1.Locate your Carrier and Download the OS you desire from here and Install it in your PC or Laptop Carriers

• (make sure you are downloading for the same model as you have )

2. Download and install the latest BlackBerry desktop software from here BlackBerry desktop software

•     Then using desktop software perform your full backup of your device.   

KB12487 :  How  backup BlackBerry smartphone Data using BlackBerry desktop software for Windows.

3.Search your C: drive for Vendor.xml and delete them, there may be one or two vendor.xml ( On your Pc change your folders option to show hidden files/folders ) You can Skip step  3 if you are using your carrier OS pack :

•     C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  •     C:\Users\Windows UserName\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. (For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path       will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) double click Loader.exe

Upgrade will continue then After Installation of New OS restore your backup from BlackBerry desktop

Software.

KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

So try it and let us know.

Prince

________________________________________________________________________________

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: airtel

Hi

I am also using 9790. I got alerts from my service provider about availability of 7.1 upgrade. When i connect my device to desk manager and click 'update', i am getting a reply 'no software update available'

while my machine is still running on 7, is it possible to upgrade this device to 7.1 ? or this upgrade is meant for higher version handsets

kindly assist

thanks

Elite II

thambu wrote:

Hi

I am also using 9790. I got alerts from my service provider about availability of 7.1 upgrade. When i connect my device to desk manager and click 'update', i am getting a reply 'no software update available'

while my machine is still running on 7, is it possible to upgrade this device to 7.1 ? or this upgrade is meant for higher version handsets

kindly assist

thanks

Hi thambu

Yes you can Update your BlackBerry® Bold 9790 to OS 7.1 ,your Bold 9790 device supports 7.1  .If BlackBerry Desktop Software is not offering the update then you can do it manually .All you have to do is download the OS pack from your Carrier site  from here    Carriers   and Install that pack on your PC by double clicking that OS file .Once it is installed on your PC you can do two thing :

1. Connect your device and Open BlackBerry Desktop Software it will prompt that Upadate is available for your device then do the update  ,Or

2. After Installing the OS pack on your PC   Go to

C : \Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.(For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path  will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader)   Double click Loader.exe.

Once you click on Loader.exe update will continue and follow the On screen direction. But before doing any Update do your device Backup using BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Please go ahead and update your Device OS, let us know if you feel any problem.

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: airtel

thanks a lot. Much appreciations!

Highlighted
Elite II

Hi thambu

You are most welcome Smiley Happy