Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8310
My Carrier: Orange/AT&T

Unable to validate my hotmail account - please help

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone, thanks in advance for any and all help. I spend most of my time on a military base, this phone has become my life line and I am now "up the creek".

The device is a blackberry curve 8310 originally purchased and used with AT&T. I had the phone unlocked and am now using Orange (Israel) as my provider.

A couple months ago when I first unlocked the phone and opened an account with Orange everything was working fine, specifically the e-mail (which is the reason for this post). I synced the device with my hotmail account and was recieving and sending e-mails without problems.

I recently got leave and returned home to the United States for a few weeks. While in the U.S. I opened an AT&T account using the same blackberry device. Everything was working fine using the AT&T network. I synced the device (with the AT&T sim card) to the same hotmail account and was sending and recieving e-mails (as well as all other services such as phone, internet, etc.).

Upon returning to Israel, I switched sim cards at the airport. Everything worked just as it had with the exception of the hotmail account.

When I tried (try) to set up the account the following happens:

1. I go to the E-mail settings icon on the device.

2. The following message is what I am shown on the screen:

"A new BlackBerry device has been detected. You must move your e-mails accounts to recieve e-mail on this device. To move an e-mail account, you will need to type the e-mail account password. At least one e-mail account must be moved to set up e-mail on this device."  (This is the message displayed) 

"E-mail delivery to your old device has been stopped" (this notice is displayed underneath my email address)

Move e-mail accounts and Cancel (these are the two options I am offered at the bottom of the screen)

3. I select "move e-mail accounts"

4. I am brought to a second screen with the following message:

"Type the e-mail password to validate each e-mail account." (this is the message diplayed)

the screen lists my e-mail account "" followed by a place to type a password. Next to this is a button which says validate, and underneath it is an option to cancel. Additionally, a button to display the password is also on the same screen.

5. I enter my password (it is the correct password and has not been changed since before I began to use the phone) and then select validate.

6. A thrid screen comes up saying "Invalid email password. Verify your e-mail password. If the error persists contact hotmail.com." It also allows the option to re-enter the password again below this message. Which I have done, over and over.

I have searched all over to try and find a solution to this problem with no success. I spent an hour and a half at an orange store. They rebooted the phone (or something like that) but the same message comes up everytime. Nothing has been changed in regards to the email account and the only thing that has been done to the phone is the temporary switch to AT&T. Everything is working on the phone other than the e-mail. I am not the most technical guy so I have laid this out as simply as I can. PLEASE, any and all help is needed. I have no idea what to do and I am loosing my mind over this. HELP!

Thanks Everyone,

Alex

Edit: Removed E-Mail address. At no time should you provide any personal information to any other community member. Check out the User Guidelines for details.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Unable to validate my hotmail account - please help

this has been a problem in the last few days with Hotmail.

Windows Live changed their DNS servers lately and the DNS records have not been updated yet. This is affecting only a handful of accounts.  For anyone that is affected you will need to add the Hotmail account as an advanced integration and use the IP for pop3.live.com in the mail server field.

Once their DNS records have been completely updated then you can add the email account without adding the mail server in your BIS account.

If you can't get this to work, contact your carrier and have them escalate the case to RIM and they can sort it out for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8310
My Carrier: Orange/AT&T

The problem first occurred on the 19th of November. Would this date fall into the time period you are referring to?

Please excuse my next comment as I am uneducated with these kinds of devices. But could you break down the steps a little more simply. I do not know anything about "advanced intergration", pop3, BIS, RIM, etc.

How long would you estimate before these DNS records are updated?

Again, please excuse my ignorance. I have only been using a blackberry for barely a few months now.

Thanks,

Alex

Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I would suggest calling your service provider and if they can't get it working then ask them to escalate the case to Research in Motion (RIM). They are the manufacturer of the BlackBerry and control the data going to and from the BB device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!