Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

Uncaught Exception: Java.Lang.NullPointerException

[ Edited ]
So I've had my Bold since the day it was released on AT&T....never had any problems whatsoever (still using 4.6.0.167 which came preloaded). Then last night in the middle of the night I got a phone call....tried to ignore it so the phone would stop ringing and I think (it was 3 am) I entered my password (usually you don't have to to silence a call)...then I get the following message:

"Uncaught Exception: Java.Lang.NullPointerException"

Now everytime I reboot my phone (tried a few Alt/Shift/Deletes and a battery pull) I get the error after the security check on startup.

After I hit OK the phone seems to operate normally (although I haven't tested it a ton).

The one thing I noticed which no longer works (no idea if it is related) is the SMS shortcut key in the message list (hit Alt S to filter just your SMS messages). When I hit that nothing happens. Alt-M (MMS), Alt-P (Calls) and Alt-V (voicemails) don't seem to work either. But the regular email related ones (Alt-O, I, and a few others I created) seem to work fine. If I go to Search / Recall all of the shortcuts are listed there and have the correct shortcut letter of S, M, etc in (). BTW in General Options I have my Messages / SMS Combined rather than Theme Controlled.

I am using the AT&T theme that came w/ the phone and the only 3rd party apps I have installed (and they have been installed for a while w/ no issues) are Google Maps, Facebook and Opera Mini.  Also I am on BES.

Anyway kind of bummed to be seeing this error. Searched around and it seems the recommended solution is to do a software upgrade? I'm not totally opposed to doing that but would prefer not to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Eric

Message Edited by EricScott on 12-25-2008 09:59 AM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Uncaught Exception: Java.Lang.NullPointerException

Hi and welcome to the forums! Merry Christmas!

As you have read the error indicates a corrupt database or device software.

You can try the link attached regarding reseating the SIM and Media card.

If the error was happening when you utilized a contact, I would suggest

the addressbook reload.

Based on your description and the fact that the error is non specific, I would

suggest reloading the device OS.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks   

Reloading the device OS

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11320&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Addressboook Clear and reload

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04469&sliceId=2&docTy... 

SIM Reset:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10560&sliceId=2&docTy...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

Re: Uncaught Exception: Java.Lang.NullPointerException

Thanks for the speedy response.  Quick question on the address book restore - will that work if I am on BES and have wireless sync of my address book?  So in other words would I just clear the address book and then let it resync?  Would it do this automatically?

Think I may just reload the software b/c as you said I'm not sure I can isolate the problem.  All I know is that I was in the process of receiving a phone call from an unknown number (one that isn't in my address book).  I tried deleting that entry from my call logs and rebooting and still go the java error.