Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 9800 TORCH
My Carrier: AT&T

Uncaught Exception error

When I try to access AT&T Maps and the AT&T Navigator (Torch on AT&T) I get the following error message "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointer.Exception".

The only option I have is to click ok and the program doesnt start. I've turned off the phone and am still getting the same error. I have never been able to access either program in the week I'ved owned the phone.

Can you offer any help?

Super Contributor
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

Re: Uncaught Exception error

does it  like appears on the phone when you try to access apps... or is it like not moving from the phone screen.. and you can't access anything now...

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Uncaught Exception error

[ Edited ]

Yeah the dreaded "White Screen of Death" and associated messages. There may be an incompatibility between the version of your OS and the application.  Either use the Desktop Manager or the Application Loader to remove and reinstall the offending app which usually will work.  Or you will need to take more drastic measures.

On Windows XP Application Loader is under Program Files\Common Files\Reasearch In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

The Drastic Approach!

Backup, backup it all, do a FULL backup!

Next go to the downloads sites page and get the version of the OS that your carrier supports, and download it.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

"1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file."

(Quoted from: Jsanders, thanks for the info.)

Next using Desktop manager do an Update (you will be presented with a few options) using the file that you just downloaded (check the file date to pick the right one.)

After the update is successful, which will take upto an hour to accomplish.  Check the Applications installed using either Desktop Manager or Application Loader to see what is or is not  installed.  Re-install the Navigator program if needed and see if this fixes it.

Other responders - If I got this wrong, please correct this, thanks.