Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Uncaught Exception:java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBounds

Hi everyone!
Just wondering if someone can help me out with this one. Recently I changed a sms setting on my Pearl 8100 to show history and I now keep getting this message everytime I try and open a new sms. It boots me out of the sms folder, marks the new message as read and then I have to go back into it to read it!
Also, none of my sms's are sending now. They just sit in the folder with a little clock next to it.When I go into the message it says pending. I've had a message pending for the last 2 days!!! I can receieve message though... weird much? It won't allow me to delete the pending messages either and keeps coming up with the above mentioned error OR just does nothing.
Can anyone help at all??? It's killing me !!
If in doubt - ask yourself... What would Slipknot do?
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Uncaught Exception:java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBounds

I had a similar experience with my 8100. This happened right after installation of a software in my device. To get rid of it I backup my device data and wipped my Blackberry. After that I didn't receive such error.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Super Contributor
My Device: BB 8530/ 5.0.0.734 OS
My Carrier: Verizon

To add to what Tanzim said, you can try a hard reset (removing your battery) and if that fails to help...reload the device software. Let me know if you need help with that Smiley Happy
~Tami~
Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them.
-- Albert Einstein
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks so much for the help! The hard reset worked a charm! XD
You guys ROCK!!!! I now re-love my Blackberry!! Woot!
If in doubt - ask yourself... What would Slipknot do?
My Device: Pearl 8110
My Carrier: AT&T

I am having the same error message (Uncaught Exception:java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBounds) come up on my Blackberry Pearl 8110.  My error message comes up at random times and usually comes following a 5 min. freeze where only the hour glass is spinning but you can not do anything else.  I have tried the hard reset and it seems to only be a temporary fix.  Any other suggestions on something I could do.  I would greatly appreciate it as it is an inconvenience to have my phone freezing.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Andy22 wrote:

I am having the same error message (Uncaught Exception:java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBounds) come up on my Blackberry Pearl 8110.  My error message comes up at random times and usually comes following a 5 min. freeze where only the hour glass is spinning but you can not do anything else.  I have tried the hard reset and it seems to only be a temporary fix.  Any other suggestions on something I could do.  I would greatly appreciate it as it is an inconvenience to have my phone freezing.

Hi there!

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, one must remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................