Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Anytime you have uncaught exception error, you must understand there is a data corruption in one or more of the OS Operating system files that can include: Messages, SMS, MMS, Calender, etc.. and from Third Party Application from different Vendors

To Resolve this issue please follow the following steps:

1. Backup your device if your lucky from Blackberry Desktop Manager

2. Prior in continuing this step: Please shut down Desktop Manager and then you can go ahead and Download and install the Device software (Make sure the USB is plugged to your device to the computer>  You can get the device software by going to www.blackberry.com -->Choose your country-->Select the Support and Services Tab and Get Software for your Device.. OR goto google.com and search for Blackberry (YOUR MODEL NAME) (CARRIER NAME) device software download

3. If it asks you to reboot, REBOOT DO NOT IGNORE the step

4. Launch Desktop Manager with your device connected

5. CANCELL ANY UPDATES OCCURS For example "The following are available updates for your device" DON'T DO IT! IF YOU CAN'T GET THERE DUE TO DEVICE NOT COMMUNICATING OR DETECTING SKIP TO STEP #LOADER.EXE

6. Click on Application Loader Tab-->Once your there click start below Add/Remove applications

7. Once the Device application selection list occurs click on Settings or option below the white application line.

8. YOU MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT SEE THIS: Backup options.. Do uncheck back, Do not backup in this section

9. Press ok-->Next-->Finish  Wait till 45 minutes DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR USB TILL OPERATION COMPLETES

10. IF YOU BACKED UP YOUR FILE OR HAVE A BACKUP READ THIS STEP OTHERWISE YOUR DONE

a. Open desktop Manager with the device plugged in

b. goto Backup/Restore and click advanced.  You should see 2 database. Right hand side Device Database and Left Hand Side Empty (Computer Database). 

C. Look at the Computer database and above it; you'll see File -->Open and open up your Backup file and computer database will load up

D. Restore address Book All, Calender All for contacts and Calender.  If you choose to restore messages do it at your own risk because if it's corrupted uncaught exception error may occur

Here are some Screen Shots:

Warning: The following procedures could delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data from both on-board device memory and your media card prior to performing the procedure. For instructions, see your product documentation.

Before proceeding, make sure that the latest version of BlackBerry® Device Software is installed on the computer by completing the following steps:

1. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Click Help > About BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

The About Desktop Manager dialog box appears.

3. Click the Device Software tab.

4. Verify that the BlackBerry Device Software displayed is the latest version currently available from the wireless service provider.

For instructions on how to download the latest versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Device Software, see article KB12532.

To perform a clean installation of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 to 5.0 SP1, perform the following steps:

Warning: The following procedure will delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the BlackBerry smartphone data before proceeding. For instructions, see article KB12487.

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Click Application Loader.
  3. Click the Start button under Update Software.

4. Click Next to start the installation process.
  5. Type the password for the BlackBerry smartphone, if prompted, and click OK.
  6. Select the check boxes next to the names of the applications to be loaded, and then click Next.

7. Click Settings, and then select the check boxes beside Delete all application data and Erase all currently installed applications.

8. Clear the check box next to Back up device data automatically during the installation process.

9. Click OK > Next > Finish.

10. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

To perform a clean installation of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 4.1 to 4.3, complete steps 1 through 5, above, and then proceed with the following:

1. Click Advanced, and then select the check boxes beside Erase all application data and Erase all currently installed applications.
  2. Click Next.
  3. Select the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process (if prompted).
  4. Clear the check box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly (if prompted).
  5. Click Next > Finish.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T OPEN UP DESKTOP MANAGER AS THE DEVICE WON'T GET RECOGNIZE NOR GET CONNECTED

FOR Windows XP Users

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer by a USB cable.
  2. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    • cd c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader

For computers using a 64-bit version of Windows, type:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader

1. To save a screen shot to the Windows desktop, type:

loader.exe /screenshot c:\screenshot1.bmp

2. If you have a password on your BlackBerry smartphone, a screen appears asking you to enter the password for the BlackBerry smartphone.Type the password that you use to unlock your BlackBerry smartphone.
  3. Type the password and press ENTER.

Note: Some Windows operating systems require the command prompt run as administrator to allow this functionality.

Note: Even though the command specified to save to C:\ , on some Windows Vista™ and Windows® 7 computers, the screen shot is sometimes saved at the following location:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Apploader

There Hope that Helped. 

My Device: Curve 8235
My Carrier: Tmobile

I tried for days to start this process but the desktop software couldn't connect to the phone. Finally I called the phone and left a voice mail message which caused the phone to pop up with the Network Notification message.  I did not click ok which finally bypass the Uncaught Exception error message allowing me to finally connect the phone to the software to back up the data. Thought this might also help anyone unable to connect as well.

My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900

Hey.

Umm can you please help me my phone for some reason wont let me view my sms inbox it will just show a pop up saying java.lang.NullPointerException and it wont let me see it. My inbox has deleted it by itself.

My Device: Not Specified

EmperorX:... Thanks...That was a lot of work & effort you put in there.

My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Bell

I did everything you said including re install my device software and continue to get the message when I try to open BBM, yahoo messenger, Windows live messenger, or google talk.

What else do you suggest?

My Device: Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Although the last issue posted on this subject was several days ago, i would like to post to help others who will end up having this problem.

My phone was forced by Verizon to do an OTA update. I say forced because I kept preventing it from updating and I never scheduled the update and I woke up one morning and it had updated itself.  After this update, I received the error mentioned in this post, and the contacts, save one, was missing.  That same one showed in my contacts 787 times. I read the problem is caused by some type of corruption somewhere on the device during the update.

Originally I tried connecting my blackberry to my pc and doing an overwrite of teh address book, but it never updated the contacts even after I manually added one to my laptop to try and force it to do so.  So then I removed the 5.x desktop software, did a clean install and tried again.  Still the same thing.  So then I read to update the Desktop software to 6.  So i once again did a clean install, removing 5.x, and installing 6.0.  In that version it showed that the "Address not installed".  So I did some more reading and and tried downloading the service books again.  That didn't work.  The only way I was able to fix this problem was to roll back the OS one previous version, and force an update for the address book from Outlook. I was lucky that I had my address book in Outlook because even restoring a previous backup would not allow me to restore the address book.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Tremendous amount of work indeed. My problem is that my outgoing e-mail wont go out; it just hangs. Also cant use my BBmessenger. I did acomplete re-install of OS without using my DM (DM did not catch an upgrade, another member here very kindly walked me through it) and after the whole thing was done this dang java.lang thing is still ruining my outgoing e-mail. Kudos to everyone who is wrestling with this beast!

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Having this same issue--only as an added bonus my unread message counter continuously goes up (at some point last night it was over 99,000) then reboots itself.  I have deleted both email accounts and all messages from the phone and it still keeps going up.  Email icons have disappeared, and now I can hardly even open any icon on the phone.

Battery pull/hard restarts are not solving the issue, resending service books didn't help.  Deleting and readding the email accounts also useless.

Checked for new software updates via desktop manager, none available.  Should I wipe the OS/phone and try to start over?  Any advice would be appreciated.  I was able to back up (google sync, desktop, and back up assistant) before it started getting really crazy, so I'm not worried about losing much.

Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

telisagunter wrote:

Having this same issue--only as an added bonus my unread message counter continuously goes up (at some point last night it was over 99,000) then reboots itself.  I have deleted both email accounts and all messages from the phone and it still keeps going up.  Email icons have disappeared, and now I can hardly even open any icon on the phone.

Battery pull/hard restarts are not solving the issue, resending service books didn't help.  Deleting and readding the email accounts also useless.

Checked for new software updates via desktop manager, none available.  Should I wipe the OS/phone and try to start over?  Any advice would be appreciated.  I was able to back up (google sync, desktop, and back up assistant) before it started getting really crazy, so I'm not worried about losing much.

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!!

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- rather than checking via the Desktop Software, I advice you check them via this portal:

You can also check other carriers to see if perhaps one has adopted a newer OS level than your carrier (each gets to choose). You can install the update using this procedure:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-Syste...

While written for "reload", it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload...it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If you do choose an OS package from a different carrier, then simply insert, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the alt key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info. Alternative methods for bringing up the logs are in this KB:

• KB05349How to enable, access, and extract the event logs on a BlackBerry smartphone

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Thanks---checked the log and there are a few errors--8+ that were tied to 'net_rim_bb_email  EmailMessageModelmpl inbound' and at least one that comes up as 'net_rim_services_impl(3) 45 2...DatagramConnectionBase.

No newer software available from any carriers--that is good to know that you can upgrade from others though, thanks.

I'll try reinstalling the OS later this evening.  Oh BB, why must you continuously fail me? Smiley Sad