Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

[ Edited ]

I've had this issue for almost a week now with the Uncaught Exception java.lang.nullpointerexception.

I haven't tried the Desktop Manager or calling support, or anything at all for that manner. I just cleared the error message and went on about my daily life since I didn't have time to fix it right away. My SMS and MMS icon disappeared and I no longer received voicemail notifications.

I read one thing that I did that worked in a matter of 5 minutes but I backed up everything I wanted to save from my BlackBerry to my SIM card and the 8GB memory card I already had installed inside the BlackBerry because following the directions below will essentially wipe your BlackBerry system clean to start all over again as though you had just bought it brand new. Here are the instructions I followed:

1. From your BlackBerry menu, click on the Settings icon (looks like a wrench tool)

2. Then click on the Options icon (also look like a wrench tool)

3. From the menu, click on Security Options

4. Then click on General Settings

5. Once on the General Settings screen, push your BlackBerry menu button on your phone to get the submenu

6. From the submenu, click on Wipe Handheld

7. check the box to include third party applications (doing this will wipe away any apps you've installed on the phone so you may choose not to select this box and continue and see if the apps remain upon reboot)

8. Choose "Continue" to wipe the BlackBerry clean

9. type the word "blackberry" to confirm that you want to clean your phone

This process can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour depending on how much stuff is on your phone that needs to be wiped clean. For me, it probably took about 10 minutes max. The phone will shut down when it is done and will reboot automatically. I don't think it matters if you decide to leave your SIM card and memory card in your BlackBerry... I did and they are still perfectly fine.

GOOD LUCK! Smiley Happy

My Device: Blackberry 8900 Javelin curve.
My Carrier: Michelle Blanco

I have the same problem more or less, I can't get through to to my messages or SMS

Can someone please help us?  Taking the battery and SIM card does not work.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

Would you please include the Black Berry model you have and the operating system installed on it. It would help a lot to identify the root cause of these problems.

OS version can be acessed by clicking "Options->About"

the OS version starts with a letter "v", like v6.0.100 or v5.0.630...

with kind regards,

Ingwar

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi Ingwar!

I guess it might help to explain what BlackBerry you have and its OS. I posted a reply on March 29 (which was a procedure I followed to help get my phone back up and running again).

I have a BlackBerry Bold, the 9000 version (which is the older Bold). The OS I have is v4.6.0.297 with Platform 4.0.0.247. However, I think this "uncaught exception" issue occurred on my BB when I updated the OS. Just goes to show that updating your OS isn't always best... since my phone worked fine before then.

Good luck and hope that helps some! Smiley Wink

New Contributor

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the advice. Actually I'm not looking for the fix Robot Very Happy I'm looking for the root cause. You're on the right track by saying that combination of OS and model might be the cause of the problem. Some of those combinations DO have bugs and I'm just trying to find out where and when this happens. When do you exactly experienced this problem? Is it only with SMS and Calendar or to do you also have the same problem with other applications? Can you describe a few steps you made prior you got the "error message" on the screen?

with kind regards,

Ingwar

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: diplomat

i have the same problem how  can i open the blackberry desktop manager?

New Contributor
My Device: BB Pearl 8220
My Carrier: BMOBILE

I get this message when I reboot. My other problem is that I cannot access BB App world. Not sure if the both are linked. When I select the Icon the phone freezes. I have then to pull the battery. Also when trying to reset my password for BB ID I am not receiving any emails from App world.

New Contributor

did u try to remove App World and reinstall it again?

New Contributor
My Device: BB Pearl 8220
My Carrier: BMOBILE

Yes. I made several tries, but no luck. I am tempted to reset to factory settings and start all over. What do you think?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

do you mean to "wipe" the phone? I wouldn't recommend it since all your data will be lost including the activation key. Are you the first owner of this phone?

Edit:

I would recommend you removing all applications installed recently, one by one, including AppWorld. The chance is big that one of those applications does not function properly.