Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
pfj
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Uncaught exception java.lang.illegalargumentexception

I have a BB 9000 and I'm receiving the error message whenI Enter my password to logon to the device "Uncaught exception java.lang.illegalargumentexception" and can't find out how to recover from the error.

Additionally my device hang when I am in the mail box, press option Email reconcilation. The problems started at the same time - can anyone help me?

Try to find a way to completely reload the SW without luck - the Option simply not available at the Desktop manager.

Thanks very much

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Uncaught exception java.lang.illegalargumentexception

Did you get these errors with a new device?

Seems like something important into the RIM OS is broken.

Try to backup all your data from your device and wipe the device memory.

Restore your data step by step and check for the problem after every step. It is to prevent the situation when some corrupted data in device persistent memory leads to the buggy behaviour.

pfj
New Contributor

I got the device as new last week (expansys).

I have done as you say.

Backup,

Wipe

and immediately at the end of the wipe when the device reboot i receive the error msg in Subject line.

When I restore objects I receive an error; "Error Restoring Databases"

I have tried full restore or Advance Restore file by file. When I do it file by file I first time receive the error when restoring database; Folders

Thanks

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome the forums!

If you are talking about unlocking your password protected device and getting the error.

this link may be pertinent:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10560&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

pfj
New Contributor

I have tried everything in the link you refer to, wiped device, wrong password, etc. but I have a couple of basics problems.

Before that I need to inform I'm using Desktop SW version 6, and Bold 9000.

The Application Loader is simply not giving me the options you mention:

"Double-click Application Loader > Next. . Click Next. On the Device Application Selection screen, click Next"

When I select Application loader i get 2 options - Add/Remove Applications and Update Applications. and on the next page I get the message: No software available for your device. If I in the right corner select Check for updates I am taken to the Blackberry Software download environment and I can simply not find download Device software for BB Bold or 9000. I have spent hours without luck.

Additionally I have found out the Device goes into a 2 min loop when I try to open a mail in my mailbox. Sometimes at the end get to the mail, other times not...

I simply beleeve I need a Device Software download - but can't find it.

Thanks very much for your assistance -I really appreciate it.

Guru I

Hi,

pfj wrote: "Before that I need to inform I'm using Desktop SW version 6, and Bold 9000."

Did you mean Desktop software  4.6?  That is the latest version, we don't have a 6.

You are missing the device software for you device, that is what the application loader is looking for.

What is the software version you need, and who is your carrier?

Let me know.

Thanks

Here is the correct device OS load procedure as written by TANZIM:

Step #1

Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the computer.

Step#2

Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3

Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  3. Double-click Backup and Restore.
  4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases.
  5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save.

Step#4

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Double-click the Application Loader icon.
  3. Click Next to start the installation process.
  4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK.
  5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next.
  6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process.
  9. Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly.
  10. Click Next > Finish.
  11. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Guru I

Hi,

Here is the latest software from AT&T for the Bold 9000. If you decide to use it, and your vendor is NOT AT&T.

You will have to delete the vendor.xml file on your PC. If you send me your carrier I will provide you the link to

their version of device software for the 9000.

Thanks

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.298 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.298
Consisting of:

• Applications: 4.6.0.167
  • Software Platform: 4.0.0.157
  • File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel298_PL4.0.0.157_A4.6.0.167_AT&T.exe
  • File size: 93.32MB

Here is the link:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

pfj
New Contributor

I have done exact as you mentioned: full backup, wipe, copied AT&T SW, Installed it at the PC, removed the Vendor file, connected the BB and upgraded all SW using Desktop manager(4.6).. and immediately after the Software is upgraded on the BB and I enter the PW I receive the error message in subjectline.

Any idea what I should do?

New Contributor

I had similar problems with same message.  Knew it wasnt computer or desktop software as my husband's new one synched perfectly.  Called AT&T tech support.  Put me thru to Blackberry tech and he walked me through reloading software.  Solved the problem.  Now the only wierd message I get occassionally when making a call is "Call Forwarding -- Conditional."  Doesnt hurt the phone call and no one seems to know what it is.  Blackberry support the best.
Guru I

Hi PFJ,

If you go to SECURITY/OPTIONS/can you disable the password, or is there a lock by it?

Thanks