Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Uncaught exception

My list of messages (usually kept for a month) started disappearing, and then it completely disappeared, so that they only contained the latest message. I tried to fix the problem, but I now get the message: Uncaught exception: DSSMA: invalid state (5):2.  The Blackberry is still receiving messages but I can't access them.  What do I do?
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8330

Re: Uncaught exception

Henry,

The DSSMA uncaught exception refers to a particular corruption within the messaging application of your phone - if you remove the batt and re-insert that may be a temporary fix, however in most instances, you will need to reload the device software or master wipe device -

Master wipe - Options, security options, general settings, press menu key, select Wipe Handheld...(you may want to salvage your data  thru desktop mgr. before wiping)

OS download, for 8830's on VZW, the site is: https://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry

Hope that gets you in the right direction Smiley Happy

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Wiping of your device will not require you to install OS. However, if performing as millju4 mentioned doesn't solve the issue then follow the below steps for OS reinstalling/upgrade.

-----------------------------------

Use JL_cmder to wipe your device OS. Click this link for details.

Check steps below for OS upgrade by installing device OS in the PC -

Step #1:

Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the Computer.

Step #2:

Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3:

Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1.      Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager

2.      Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager

3.      Double-click Backup & Restore

4.      Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases

5.      Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save

Step#4:

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1.      Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager

2.      Double-click the Application Loader icon

3.      Click Next to start the installation process

4.      Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK

5.      Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next

6.      Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.

7.      Click Next.

8.      Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process

9.      Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly

10.  Click Next -> Finish

11.  When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear

12.  Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

If you run the Memory Swipe, does it delete all of your apps like Bberry messenger, Gtalk, Gmail, AIM, etc??  Would it just be easier in the long run to re-install the latest OS through the desktop software?  I too am getting this Uncaught exception error, except mine has a "2" after the "(5)"
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

zandrello wrote:
If you run the Memory Swipe, does it delete all of your apps like Bberry messenger, Gtalk, Gmail, AIM, etc??  Would it just be easier in the long run to re-install the latest OS through the desktop software?  I too am getting this Uncaught exception error, except mine has a "2" after the "(5)"

Memory Swipe? Who's memory do you wish to swipe? (JK!) Smiley Tongue

Here's a KB that describes what happens during a device Wipe:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16307&slic...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Holy Shizzle..... so does it delete your phonebook, all your contact numbers, addresses, EVERYTHING?!?!?  Anyway, I think i got it fixed.  For some reason I am able to view my messages again after the last battery pull.  I was also able to delete all of my old messages, including data, facebook, and other app messages.  So hopefully this isn't just a "temporary" fix. I don't wanna deal with this again.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Uhhhh...pardon...do I understand correctly? Battery pull and device Wipe are distinctly different operations. A batt-pull is a non-destructive complete OS reboot -- just like doing a controlled reboot of a PC...nothing is lost. The Wipe function does what is described in the article I sent you.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Yes I believe you are correct.  I'm just saying, for whatever reason, after my last battery pull, I didn't get the error again.  The WIPE, I'm assuming wipes out EVERYTHING.  That's what I'm asking, becuz it would be a royal pain in the **bleep** to get all my numbers, contacts, and addresses back!  I need to load the Desktop Software tonight and back all my sh*t up.
Hall of Famer III

No one can guarantee that uncaught exception errors will not happen again. It's the nature of computing devices...just like a PC, sometimes things happen that corrupt memory and a reboot is needed. Hence, while the batt-pull indeed cleared the error for you last time, it may well happen again -- it all depends on usage, applications, etc. etc. etc...just like a PC. And predicting it is just as useful on a BB as it is on a PC. The cure then will be the same as the cure now...batt-pull reboot.

New Contributor

Thanks for the help!  Man Happy