Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Orange CH
Accepted Solution

Unhappy and kind of said user of BB 9700

Smiley SadGreetings everyone, just bought 9700 on Heathrow (without a plan) with intention to use it in Switzerland on Orange network. I was happy for a few days but then figured out that I can not download any application as I was getting a message that my device did not meet the system requirements that are needed to support any of the applications I tried to install Smiley Sad. I have installed the latest desktop manager and everything seems to be in order but can not get any application on the phone. What especially makes me unhappy (besides spending almost 600 €  on a phone that provides with same features as Nokia 3110Smiley Very Happy) is that I do not have maps installed and can not use navigation. What am I doing wrong? Help.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Unhappy and kind of said user of BB 9700

donga1965 wrote:

I was happy for a few days but then figured out that I can not download any application as I was getting a message that my device did not meet the system requirements that are needed to support any of the applications I tried to install

hello,

that is because you are trying to install the applications using AppWorld, and that AppWorld is not available for all countries (that excludes Swiss but includes most countries of western europe).

you can download applications from other shops than AppWorld : mobihand, handanho, getjar, bplay...

donga1965 wrote:

I have installed the latest desktop manager and everything seems to be in order but can not get any application on the phone.

well you have to explain how you install the applications. If you use Desktop Manager you need to download a couple of files (one ALX and one COD) and install them on your device through the Application Loader inside Desktop Manager. Did you do all that ?

donga1965 wrote:

What especially makes me unhappy (besides spending almost 600 €  on a phone that provides with same features as Nokia 3110Smiley Very Happy) is that I do not have maps installed and can not use navigation. What am I doing wrong?

you bought a BlackBerry device without a Data plan, that is your biggest mistake. You will never be able to use a map software on your device without the BlackBerry Data Plan, even with Wi-Fi.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

So call your Swiss Orange carrier and subscribe to THE BlackBerry Data Plan.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

thanks a lot though it sounds depressing. i figured more or less fast that appworld is not available in swizerland. the problem is that i can not download any other free application, such as facebook. when asked i provided e-mail in order to receive a download link but for some reason i am not able to open any e-mail through the existing browser. i then figured that i can not setup emial account easily. the application exist in the list of applications but do not have access to it. the same for bb maps. it is on the list of applications but again no access. is there a way to unlock these applications? i di not download any file or anything else besides the desktop software. thanks so much in advance. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

JSanders wrote:

So call your Swiss Orange carrier and subscribe to THE BlackBerry Data Plan.

^+1

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

donga1965 wrote:

thanks a lot though it sounds depressing.

if I were you I would sell your 600ccy device on eBay, and buy the same device with a BlackBerry Data Plan + Voice plan in Switzerland... money is too important to burn it like you did !

donga1965 wrote:

the problem is that i can not download any other free application, such as facebook.

are you aware that applications like facebook require the BlackBerry data plan to work correctly ? it's the same for nearly all applications that required an internet access, except browsers like Opera Mini or BOLT.

donga1965 wrote:

but for some reason i am not able to open any e-mail through the existing browser.

what do you mean by that ? Who is your email provider ? Usually they offer for free some webmail like zimbra or ioha Mail http://ilohamail.org/main.php?page=ScreenShots

donga1965 wrote:

i then figured that i can not setup emial account easily.

it is easy with a blackberry BIS plan.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Contributor

Smiley Very HappyThanks a million. Got the BB plan from Orange and things started improving for me and my BB Smiley Very Happy Not everything perfect as yet. Downloaded Opera Mini 5 Beta but could not start the application. Help will be appreciated. Also, does the fact that I am in Switzerland means that I can not download any application from the AppStore? Thanks to all on your help. I still need a couple of advices. Smiley Happy

Contributor

I was told by orange that I have to register with Blackberry and provide phone details but can not figure out where. Help please. Thanks. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

donga1965 wrote:

Downloaded Opera Mini 5 Beta but could not start the application. Help will be appreciated.

"could not start" -- can you expand on that, please...details help. Like, did it install fine? What exactly do you do? What exactly do you expect? What exactly happens?

donga1965 wrote:

Also, does the fact that I am in Switzerland means that I can not download any application from the AppStore?

You mean AppWorld? Right? I've no idea what AppStore is... See these articles:

Since I don't see Switzerland listed anywhere, I'd have to surmise that the answer to your question is Yes.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

donga1965 wrote:

I was told by orange that I have to register with Blackberry and provide phone details but can not figure out where. Help please. Thanks. 

The carriers are in direct control of all provisioning and registration of BB's onto their network. Which means that you need to contact Orange again and have them do whatever they need to do in order to deliver to you the services you are paying them for.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................