Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8707g not so smartphone!
Accepted Solution

Unknown caller even when in address book

[ Edited ]

8707g v 4.2.1.105. I tried downloading the latest firmware but page kept crashing.

I read on a post I should have country and area code before phone number and then caller ID will appear when they ring me. Tried that and still unkown caller appears with no phone number.

I have changed all the settings to show but obviously I am missing one.

I would really appreciate help as I do need to know wgho is ringing me.

Message Edited by ideaswoman on 04-17-2009 09:52 AM
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Re: Unknown caller even when in address book

Hi,

There are several areas to look for.

Firstly, the other person needs to be sending their mobile number. Ensure other people can see their number when they call first.

Next, you cant have Content protection enabled on your BB. Ensure it is turned off, or that Include Contacts is NO..

Also, whilst we are here, ensure your mobile number is showing against My Number on the phone screen. (THis will help the other way!)

Also ensure you dont have Caller ID barred on the carriers end.

Hope that helps!

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
New Contributor

I have moved my contacts from one phone to another. All do not hide their IDs.

I had everything you said set. I am getting very frustrated with this.

Thanks for your help.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Confirm the below two configuratios -

• Options -> Secutiry Options -> General Setting -> Content Protection: Disable
  • Call Log -> Options -> General Options -> Restrict My Identity: Network Determined

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Also, check your SmartDialing options:

1. Make sure you set your own country code at Phone Dialer Screen > Options > Smart dialing.

Set your country code n this format: "+xx" where xx = your country code. Some countries have two or three digit Country Codes. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.

* In the US, set this Country Code as "+1", and place your loca area code in the proper box (this normally the default setting in a new BB).

2. At the same location, change the National Number Length to the number of digits for your country (since some countries will have less than 10 as set as the default in the BB). Find out the total digits, minus the country code. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.

* For example, some countries have a total number to 8 (plus 3 for country code). You would enter "8".  In the US, that would set to ten (10).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

tanzim wrote:

Confirm the below two configuratios -

• Options -> Secutiry Options -> General Setting -> Content Protection: Disable
  • Call Log -> Options -> General Options -> Restrict My Identity: Network Determined

• Yes I had already disabled content protection
  • Two options for restrict my identity and I am set to NO
New Contributor

JSanders wrote:

Also, check your SmartDialing options:

1. Make sure you set your own country code at Phone Dialer Screen > Options > Smart dialing.

2. At the same location, change the National Number Length to the number of digits for your country (since some countries will have less than 10 as set as the default in the BB). Find out the total digits, minus the country code. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.

1. Already set to +61

2. Already set automatically to 9

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Also make sure that the other person does not have their phone number blocked.  Your phone will only recognize the number if the other person has their phone number set to broadcast (many cellular phone and some home phone users leave their phone number blocked for privacy reasons).  If a caller has their phone number blocked, there is nothing you can do to see the number unless you have a carrier enabled feature that forces people to disable their call block.

I hope that makes sense.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

These numbers are all family members which are unblocked. All worked perfect with my Nokia 6120 just not the 8707.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

In this case, take your phone in to your carrier for assistance.  They may just need to check a setting on their system, but unfortunately, that's not anything that you can do on your own.  At the very least, you'll need to call your carrier.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!