Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Balckberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Was Telus, noe Fido
Accepted Solution

Unlocked 9800 problem

I've traded up to a BB10 from a Torch 9800. I kept the 9800 for my wife and unlocked it. I was with Telus before trading up. I got a plan for the 9800 with Fido for my wife for texting and phone, no email.

I'm trying to clean out the 9800 of 4 email accounts and other stuff she doesn't want. Unfortunately, the 9800 can no longer connect to the server. Any suggestions what to do next? 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unlocked 9800 problem

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend this KB:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Pretend that it's a sell/buy transaction, and complete all steps.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Included in the link sdgardne posted are instructions to wipe the device. Once you do that all your data will be removed and she can then load her own. Follow the instructions posted and you should be in good shape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Folks, thanks for the quick replies. It was a little late for the Buy/Sell procedure, however it is obviously the right thing to do. Resetting the phone appears to have worked. It may not be for the "faint of heart" as there's a lot of resetting to do after the process, but it is working.

Thank You

Geoff

New Contributor

Hi Folks,

I can now confirm that the "resetting" process worked perfectly. The only mystery left is that the Telus logo still comes up when the phone is turned on. I'm assuming it's built into the startup routine, just like a PC. We can live with it, unless someone knows how to delete it.

Thanks again for your time & help

Geoff.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello again,

I'm glad the processes worked for you (of course, there is no such things as a "resetting process"...I am guessing you meant the WIPE processes that were recommended).

That boot-up "splash screen" indeed cannot be changed. It is loaded at the factory when the device is manufactured. Each BB is originally manufactured for a specific carrier, and some contract with BlackBerry to install that splash screen. But, like the hard-coded VendorID, it means nothing regarding the usability of a properly unlocked device on an alternate carrier.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................