Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Unlocked BB 9500 for GSM

I came across BB9500 unlocked and also BB9530 unlocked. I have couple of questions

1) Which one of these is GSM phone?

2) If I purchase the GSM unlocked one , will it work with ATT current sim Ihave?

3) Will this unlocked GSM BB phone work in India (if i return back to india from US) with all features if I take service of provider who supports BB features.

Please let me know. based on the answer/help I will buy the unlocked GSM version of BB Storm

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unlocked BB 9500 for GSM

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

sambasivam wrote:

I came across BB9500 unlocked and also BB9530 unlocked. I have couple of questions

1) Which one of these is GSM phone?

9500 is GSM

2) If I purchase the GSM unlocked one , will it work with ATT current sim Ihave?

Yes, absolutely. Actually the 9530 CDMA will also work with ATT but the 9500 is much easier to configure.

I have one each a 9500 and 9530 on ATT, the 9500 is much easier to operate on the GSM network.

3) Will this unlocked GSM BB phone work in India (if i return back to india from US) with all features if I take service of provider who supports BB features.

Yes, as long as it is a GSM provider with a BlackBerry Data Plan.

Please let me know. based on the answer/help I will buy the unlocked GSM version of BB Storm

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thank you very much. I have been trying to get this confusion cleared for almost 2 weeks. Now that I got info i'm going to buy BB 9500. This will be my new BB and im really excited. It is good that I did not went for iPhone and waited to know about BB. My most usage will be in India and if it works in India with all features then it is wonderful news to me.

I don't know ANY reason why it wouldn't.

Your carrier there must have the BlackBerry data plan for it to work.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanks JSanders for quick responses. So you think it will work or u r sure it will. You want me to go ahead and purchase here or wait for further confirmation.

I know for a fact it will work ATT. Like I said, I am using one here on ATT (my wife is).

In India.. it should. I won't gurantee it, but if you have a GSM carrier there with a BlackBerry Data Plan, yes.

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

i have not used a 9500, but I use a 9530 on rogers in canada and it is GSM/EDGE. the 9530 can get 3G on CDMA but only 2G on GSM.

I dont notice a difference though

Contributor

Im really happy to see replies come quickly. Never expected this because in another group i posted 2 weeks before and no reply till date.

Anyway i have decided to buy the unlocked BB 9500 soon. Im just waiting for some stuff and then will purchase. Thank you everyone. If there is someone who have used it outside US with all features with the unlocked version bought in US please let me know how it works.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

mine is verizon US unlocked on GSM in canada

Im not overseas but its outsode US

and its the 9530

Contributor

Are you able to use full features of BB? is it working in 3G network? this is what concerns me