Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 v5.0.0.592 (Bundle 1004, Platform 5.2.0.57)
My Carrier: Vodacom South Africa

Re: Unopened SMS/MMS icon, how to get rid of?

I'm not using a corporate enterprise server. Did you upgrade to v5 at the same time?

My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

I had this exact problem on my bold. AND I FIXED IT!!!! it is super annoying though... The red bubble went away but the sms icon (same one you have) would not. There was no message unopened though. I tried the battery/sim card pull multiple times, to no avail. I checked the saved messages folder and nothing. I marked all my prior messages as opened, then deleted everything (all sms, voicemails, and mms. my sms/mms are separate from my emails. if yours are combined, i suggest separating them.) STILL the stupid icon stayed put.

After ALL my previous sms mms etc were deleted i pulled the battery once more . Once it reloaded again the sms icon was gone. that's what i did and it worked. Hopefully this works for you too, or helps someone. Good luck!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 v5.0.0.592 (Bundle 1004, Platform 5.2.0.57)
My Carrier: Vodacom South Africa

> After ALL my previous sms mms etc were deleted i pulled the

> battery once more . Once it reloaded again the sms icon was

> gone.

There's an SMS I want to keep tho, so I don't want to delete all SMSes or try to restore it afterwards from a backup.

I recently noticed that the number only goes up once I've typed in my SIM (subscriber identiry module) PIN (not the BB PIN): this morning it showed 41 unread SMSes (there are actually 0 unread ones) when it just started up, then I entered my SIM PIN, and it went to 42 unread SMSes and had a white on red asterisk showing a new SMS. My morning procedure now, after I enter the SIM PIN and BB password, is to select the "SMS and MMS" icon and exit it at which point its asterisk disappears.

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile HU

Before deleting all the SMS/MMSes from your device make a Special backup just about the SMS/MMSes.

Then delete all of the SMS/MMSes on the device.

Reset your device (ALT + right SHIFT + DEL) or make a hardreset with pulling out the battery.

After booting up the icon is not there.

Restore your SMS/MMSes from the Special Loader backup and everything goes right. Smiley Happy

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Globe

There are so many suggestions as to how to get rid of the problem. There are as many comments as to how they were not able to solve the problem.

These three unread SMS icon appearing after I power on from a battery discharge is so annoying and a waste of my time I may not buy a Blackberry anymore.

Why are all these people offering solutions and not Blackberry moving forward with a categorical answer to the problem??????????

Highlighted
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've also had this problem for my Bold 9700 following the recent OS upgrade.  I've tried various different fixes but only one seems to work for me (which is also on another thread somewhere although I don't have the link) and fortunately this doesn't need any of the back-up malarkey:

1) Hold down ALT + SHIFT (THE RIGHT SIDE CAPS KEY) + DEL - you should then see the notification LED shine red

2) Then do a battery pull with the blackberry still on

3) Restart and the unread SMS icon should have gone.

It might also be able to do the same by just doing a normal shut down with the red off button in step 2 instead of the battery pull, but I only tried it with the battery pull and it worked.