Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 v5.0.0.592 (Bundle 1004, Platform 5.2.0.57)
My Carrier: Vodacom South Africa

Unopened SMS/MMS icon, how to get rid of?

I upgraded my Bold 9000 to v5.0.0.592 (Bundle 1004, Platform 5.2.0.57) to see if that would fix a power drain problem. Since then I've had an icon indicating an unopened SMS or MMS, but I can't find this phantom message to open it.

Settings:
Messages, Menu, Options, Inbox Settings, Email Accounts: all are ticked. Other Messages Types: SMS And MMS is not ticked.

Messages, Menu, Options, General Settings, Display Message Count: Unread. Display New Message Indicator: Yes.

From the desktop, the SMS and MMS application shows the following text at the bottom: "(1) SMS And MMS", but when I go in, there are no unopened (yellow speech bubble) messages, only 1 opened (white speech bubble) SMS (it's in the SMS SIM Card Inbox). If I choose Menu, Mark Unopened on that SMS, the icon indicates 2 unopened SMS or MMSs; I then open it and the icon shows 1 unopened message; so it's not message.

There are no unread messages when doing the following search

SMS And MMS, Menu, Search, leaving everything as default except for Show which is changed to Unopened Only, Menu, Search: "Search Results (0), * No Messages *".

There are no unread messages when viewing the following folders: MMS Inbox, MMS Outbox, SMS Conversations, SMS Inbox, SMS Outbox, and SMS SIM Card Inbox. I also checked all the other folders, no unopened messages there either. There are also no unread messages at Menu, View Saved Messages.

After shut downs or battery pulls, I always also get the white on red asterisk indicating a new unread SMS or MMS. Doing a battery pull while the BB is on doesn't fix it either, nor does rebooting by holding the alt and right shift keys and pressing the del key.

Changing the theme doesn't fix it either.

Since upgrading didn't fix the power drain problems, and I've read online of others with similar problems since upgrading to 5 (not all of who've been able to fix it), should I downgrade back to 4? If so, any online procedures I can follow to do this?

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unopened SMS/MMS icon, how to get rid of?

Is it a slanted SMS icon or a normal email square icon?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

It's neither the old v4 slanted SMS icon, nor the normal email square icon.

It's the v5 SMS or MMS yellow speech bubble icon:

I can get rid of the white in red asterisk that comes up after every reboot (not that big of a hassle), just not the unopened SMS icon.

The opened version shown in the message lists have black outlines and 3 horizontal stripes (instead of white), and the inside is white (instead of yellow).

Have you tried to clear it this way?
Connect to Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore > Advanced. On the right-hand pane is the list of data on your device. Scroll to the SMS and MMS messages database and highlight it, then below, select CLEAR. This will clear your device of all SMS and MMS messages.

You can always restore them via a backup, but you will likely get that errant message back... but, it's worth trying.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

RIM doesn't seem to have a Linux Desktop Manager, so I connected it to someone else's Windows PC with Desktop Manager. The version, 6.0.0.40, must be different from yours because it didn't have Backup/Restore > Advanced, it did however have Device, Delete data..., Selected data, SMS Messages, but there wasn't a clear option to keep the SMS on my SMS SIM Card Inbox, which I'm not sure I'll be able to restore afterwards. I want to keep that specific SMS on the SIM card, not just the text in it, and that's more important than getting rid of this buggy icon.

The number next to the SMS or MMS yellow speech bubble icon is increasing every morning when my BB switches itself on: I'm now at 4 phantom unopened SMSs.

Are you certain this is not a Yahoo messenger or some other instant messenger notification?

bb_icons.jpg

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Definitely SMS or MMS icon for v5:

When I set an already opened SMS Mark Unopened,the number goes up 1, when I then open it the number goes down by 1.

Contributor
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: att

I had the same thing. Without turning it off, try removing the battery, wait a moment and then re-insert it. When you start it again it will probably be gone.

Hope it works for you.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tried that already, didn't work:

"Doing a battery pull while the BB is on doesn't fix it either, nor does rebooting by holding the alt and right shift keys and pressing the del key."

The number gets reset to 1 unopened SMS or MMS, but it's still there, and increases every time it automatically goes on in the morning.

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I am having the exact same problem, except it started when I started using a corporate enterprise server. It first showed 3 message.  I rebooted it went to 4.  I rebooted again it went to 8, and now it is down to 7.  I have done all of the steps you have outlined, plus I have manually gone through every folder and marked all items opened.  It still didn't work. 

If somebody fixes this issue for you, please let me know.