Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Unreadable Desktop Manager software

Recently downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Manager and cannot get the software to properly display...all the letters are just squares!  have checked language both computer and software were set to US English.  Am using an Acer Aspire 5810T.  Had the earlier version of Desktop Manager working just fine.

Appreciate any suggestions from people who might have encountered and resolved a similar problem.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Unreadable Desktop Manager software

Sounds like the Font Cache has a corrupt font in it.

Try this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7197467_rebuild-font-cache.html

If that one doesn't work, it could be the WPF font cache
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937135

You'll have to delete the .dat files in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local and restart the computer.
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Tried deleting the font cache and it worked once then reverted back to the same problem.  Have not been able to replicate the fix since.

The WPF cache issue did not seem to have any impact.

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: TMobile

Hello,

I am suffering the same problem as mentioned in the original post. Have tried the fixes and netither are working for me.

Am using Desktop software 6.1 on a Lenovo X301 with XP installed.

As per previous complainant, all previous versions of BB software worked fine, now the package is defunct and to be blunt useless to me.

Is there a location with older versions of desktop software that we can roll back to?

New Contributor

Dear BB support

I am somewhat exhausted at trying to contact and resolve a support issue on this matter. Clearly the issue resides with the BB software as pre the update the various different RIM handsets have been working fine going back some 5 years now. I switch to 6.1 and have been unable to sync my phone which is causing me problems with my business and the functionality (reason for buying the phone) has been eroded!

Can a member of the support team either answer to satisfaction the support question or point me to an archived set of desk top software (i.e. v5.0) so i can roll back to a previous version that works.

Yours most disgruntled!

Liam Fassam.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey lfassam,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear about the issue.  This issue is caused by installing BlackBerry Desktop Software in a different language or that the previous versions are not completely removed.

Perform the following:

1. Perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software by following ALLthe steps in this KB article: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

2. Restart the computer and go to www.blackberry.com/desktop and choose PC and select English.  Make sure you save the file.

3.  Run the install and restart the computer and then try to access BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Let me know if you run into any trouble.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

VisciousFerret

I have followed your instructions from you post exactly and I still have the same problem.

need a solution soon before I change to an iPhone!

New Contributor
My Device: bold
My Carrier: o2

I've had the same thing with my desktop software, since doing the same update to the software. I actually managed to get back to a previous version, but still the same. It is definitely not to do with choice of language, as I have seen suggested on othyer posts. I wonder whether there is any possibility that it could be laptop related for some strange reason. I'm running the BB software on my Lenovo X300 laptop, with XPPro (32) . I also run it on my office computer (also a Lenovo with same XPPro) with almost identical software. As far as I can remember, all softwares have been updated at about the same time. The Blackberry software still works on that office machine, but is just squares on my laptop, which is the machine I most need it to work on. I've done clean installs, reverted to previous versions, done a previous version restore on my laptop- no good. Like the previous poster, I am so close to switching my allegiance, which is a shame, as much of Blackberry is very good, but in the end I want my phone for usage, not as something to spend hours trying to make work properly and as advertised!

New Contributor

Hi,

Thats a very good point you make ref Lenovo as that is the same machine that I use which I wondered at first, however am still having issues with the HP mainframe PC in relation to the blocks appearing. Have also rolled back to a previous version of the software to no avaial!

This will probably be one of those "its a Windows issue and not the software"  responses I so often get when dealing with software vendors. However, (and I am not saying that WILL be the case) I dispare at that comment as Windows is a universal software and if vendors can not get complete compatibility with what is clearly the market leading software then I'm affraid there is no place for my business cost lines and their product!

I have run my course with this now and despite finally getting some guidance am still no wiser in the ways to get this to interface with my Outlook calendar. This causes me a little bit of pain as I need to update appointments in two locations, but it is something I suffer for 8 months longer and I will be moving at the end of contract my 6 BBs over to the Apple solution.

Sorry but after 3 months, no solution this small business user is after 5 years of BB use moving to the competition. May even take a sneak peak at the new Nokia, keep it simple solution!

New Contributor

Hi,

Appreciate the help but have tried the suggested and am still not able to utilise the equipment to back up or update.