Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Update on 10-31-09 Deleted Inbox Messages

When I performed the system-prompted update yesterday, the emails in my Inbox were deleted.  They were still in the Messages application, and I could add them to a Saved folder in the email program, but they won't show up in the Inbox.  I also received Welcome messages from Blackberry inviting me to set up both my email account and Facebook account on the handheld (I didn't have to do either as the accounts were still in tact).  No other data or applications were altered during the update.

I don't really understand what the Email Reconciliation function is all about, but I had the setting at Prompt before deleting prior to the update.

Does anyone know why this happened?  Can i get my emails back into the Inbox?  And how do I prevent it from happening again during future system updates?

Thanks so much!

Jill

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Update on 10-31-09 Deleted Inbox Messages

If the "deleted" messages are still present in your messages application, then you haven't lost them.

Where, what inbox are you seeing them deleted in? Do you have Gmail? If so, then it could that the gmail sync of read messages is working as intended and not showing.

Does that sound right?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I haven't lost them from the Messages application, but they were deleted from my Inbox, which is more important to me.  I've moved the ones that I need into a Saved folder, but involves a few more clicks to get to than my Inbox which is where I needed these emails to be.  Why would they have been deleted from the Inbox?  I do have Gmail, and I have the email preferences on the BB set to not delete mail from the Inbox unless I delete it.  

I'm still trying to figure out why this happened, if I can get the emails back in to my Inbox, and how to prevent it from happening again during the next system update.

Thanks!

Jill

Gmail, as I thought. So you are using the enhanced Gmail plugin?

Ok, so have you deleted any messages from your Gmail webmail, from the PC?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I do have the Gmail PlugIn, but am not seeing its benefits per the Options page.  

I do not use webmail to access my Gmail account.  I have my email filtered into Mail, an email application program on my Mac.

I really would just like to know how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you!

Ok, so on your Mac, you have your mail "filtered into Mail".... do you mean that mail program on the Mac goes and grabs that gmail from the server? Is there a setting in your Mail program to "Leave messages on server"?

Look in the account setup options for the Mail program on you Mac.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Yes and yes.  The messages are left on the server.  My email account options are set correctly.  Ever email that comes into my mail application is left on the Gmail website; same with the emails that come into the BB.

I've asked others who have Gmail and use a BB about this, and they can't figure out what happened or why or how to prevent it from happening again in the future.  I'm going to try to get a hold of BB tech support tomorrow to get assistance.  Thanks for trying to help, though!

Contributor

Tech support did not have any solutions for me Smiley Sad  I was wondering if anyone else on the forums has had this happen to them?  How do I prevent it from happening the next time BB prompts for a service update?