Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: 3 DK

Update unbranded/sim-free Bold 9900 from OS 7.0 to OS 7.1

I bought my Bold 9900 off Amazon (sim-free, unlocked, not branded to any default carrier) and it's running

Software version: 7.0 Bundle 2406 (v7.0.0.585, Platform 5.0.0.734)

I want to update to BlackBerry OS 7.1, especially because I want the mobile hotspot and wifi calling features.

When I check for updates via BlackBerry Desktop Software, it says that my software is up to date. My BlackBerry is not part of an enterprise (and not connected to BES server)

Can anyone tell me how to update my phone from OS 7.0 to BlackBerry OS 7.1?

Thanks,

Haris

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Update unbranded/sim-free Bold 9900 from OS 7.0 to OS 7.1

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you say, I cannot tell if you have a full BB-level data plan from your carrier. To my understanding, eligibility for 7.1 is restricted to users that have such a full BB plan.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Carrier: 3 DK

Hey, thanks.

I have a consumer level BlackBerry Internet Service plan giving me access to BBM, BlackBerry Protect and BlackBerry AppWorld. Also, Office365 via BlackBerry Business Cloud Services provides me with (push) Exchange 2010 sync.

If I understand you correctly: to be able to upgrade to 7.1, my current carrier has to provide me with the update, even though my phone was purchased plan free and not from the carrier?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

harisk wrote:
Hey, thanks.

I have a consumer level BlackBerry Internet Service plan giving me access to BBM, BlackBerry Protect and BlackBerry AppWorld. Also, Office365 via BlackBerry Business Cloud Services provides me with (push) Exchange 2010 sync.

Hmmm...I honestly don't know if that is adequate for 7.1 or not. I know that, before I had any data plan on a BB, I could not install 7.1 no matter what I tried (and I know many tricks!). Once I obtained my BIS plan, I had no troubles. But, my plan also has Email, Social Networking, etc...it's a "full" BIS plan from AT&T. You seem to have something less, and I don't know if that means it is not eligible or not.

harisk wrote:
Hey, thanks.

If I understand you correctly: to be able to upgrade to 7.1, my current carrier has to provide me with the update, even though my phone was purchased plan free and not from the carrier?

Not necessarily. It's often advisable to stick with the OS packages that your carrier releases, as that means they will then provide you with support. But, you are not restricted to their OS packages...as long as you know what to do if you indeed use a package from a carrier that is not the original carrier for your specific BB (e.g., delete all copies of VENDOR.XML after you install the OS package to your PC).

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi all,

I've had the same issue, I bought mine through an employee @ RIM (Bold 9900) so it's not branded/logo'd to any carrier and fully unlocked - doing some looking on my HDD there is a file in AppLoader that tells you what your device is and it claimed the vendor ID was 612.  after digging through this and other threads I corrected it by doing the following steps: (running Windows 7 Pro)

1. backup my BB
  2. download my carrier's (Rogers in my case) version of the installer for OS 7.1 since this is needed based on your SIM
  3. Updated my BlackBerry Desktop
  4. Installed the carrier installer (requires system reboot)
    1. After reboot changed the filename of vendor.xml to bvendor.xml so it would ignore it (located: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML)
  5. Connected BB and opened Desktop and went to Device->Update and voila it found the 7.1 and did all the goodness it needed to do.

Hope this helps!

Hall of Famer III

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

While your process is ~correct, there are a few clarifications needed for others.

colthart wrote:

I've had the same issue, I bought mine through an employee @ RIM (Bold 9900) so it's not branded/logo'd to any carrier and fully unlocked - doing some looking on my HDD there is a file in AppLoader that tells you what your device is and it claimed the vendor ID was 612. 

Every device, no matter how procured, is originally manufactured for some carrier. From what you describe, it sounds like you used the command line operand, on LOADER.EXE, to find your devices Vendor ID:

• KB25524 Commands to use with Java Loader

colthart wrote:

after digging through this and other threads I corrected it by doing the following steps: (running Windows 7 Pro)

1. backup my BB
  2. download my carrier's (Rogers in my case) version of the installer for OS 7.1 since this is needed based on your SIM

Item 1 is, of course, always good. Item 2, however, does not read as required. Any OS package from any carrier can be used on any BB, as long as it is for the exact same BB model number.

colthart wrote:

3. Updated my BlackBerry Desktop

Not quite sure exactly what you meant by that one...maybe updating BlackBerry Desktop Software to the most recent version?

colthart wrote:

4. Installed the carrier installer (requires system reboot)
    1. After reboot changed the filename of vendor.xml to bvendor.xml so it would ignore it (located: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML)

That is the method for using a different carriers OS package on your BB (when the carrier who released the OS Package and the Vendor ID on the device do not match). One deletes (or, in your case, renames) VENDOR.XML. But, there are, especially since the OS7 times, two of those to be deleted/renamed. One for sure, within the Program Files hierarchy (common files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) and the other within the User Profile area (as you mention).

So, for the benefit of everyone, here's the steps (backup/restore should be inserted as needed, though the process should also prompt to do that):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML (there will be at least one, perhaps 2)

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!