Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Updated my blackberry and now can only access via usb using Blackberry Desktop Software

Ok... before when it was working, I can connect USB to PC, enter my password, and it will detect the blackberry as external drive, and let me copy to/from the blackberry or media card...

However, since I upgraded various things (BDS software, firmware, etc..) when I plug my blackberry in with USB, it only charges it.  My Windows 7 system detects it and actually prompts me for the pw, but after entering it, I only get the "Blackberry Device Manager" icon next to my Windows clock.  I no longer see it as a drive, nor can I access anything on it.

HOWEVER, starting the BDS, and it will connect, give me access to the files, etc...

How can I easily access my files w/o having to install BDS???  I typically copy music and other files to other PCs, and can not always install BDS.. I also hate BDS to begin with.

Is this expected due to newer firmware version or something?  If so, it SUCKS.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Updated my blackberry and now can only access via usb using Blackberry Desktop Software

Hello sclieu and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your device media store.

Under Options>Memory ensure that Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode is set to either Yes or Prompt (to be given the option to charge only or enable USB).

Let me know if this helps.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Re: Updated my blackberry and now can only access via usb using Blackberry Desktop Software

It's off but there's a padlock icon next to it and I cannot change it. I don't believe I have a corporate policy that prevents this and recall this may have started after the blackberry updates I did.
Retired

How did you do the update? 

As a test, backup your device data (see KB12487 How to back up the data on a BlackBerry smartphone) and perform a factory reset as shown in KB18998 How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults.

Before any data is restored, check the Mass Storage mode. Is the padlock gone? 

I look forward to your reply.

-HMthePirate

New Contributor

ok.. figured it out... when I did the blackberry activation to receive my company's email, it locked it up again.  Is there any way I can bypass it? 

Retired

If your company is using BlackBerry Enterprise for their email then it sounds like there is an IT Policy which is preventing Mass Storage from being enabled.

You will need to speak to your company's IT Admin to confirm this.

Cheers!

-HMthePirate