08-18-2010 01:11 AM
I could not agree with you more. I have wasted hours on this problem. Where are the BB engineers? I am in the Automotive business. I would love for one of these engineers to purchase a vehicle from me, have a problem with it and then have the opporturnity to tell them to turn to the community forum to help them diagnosis and correct the problem. It's 10 minutes past midnight. Why am I here responding to a post?
08-18-2010 04:34 AM
Delete any previous versions of Blackberry Desktop Software and you troubles will disappear!
I'm afraid this does not work, have tried uninstalling and following the guidance to completely remove BBD from your machine.
It seems that the Intellisync software that does the actual synchronisation does not seemed to have been updated and I think that is where most of the problems lie.
08-18-2010 11:25 PM
As someone polinted out earlier, you really do not need BDM6. Remove both versions from your computer (following the directions given earlier for a complete uninstall) and the download (if necessary) and re-install BDM5 (that's the version 5 you had working a day or two ago). Don't mess with version 6 for a while.
08-19-2010 07:25 AM
Absolutely ! I have tried every solution here, over and over , uninstall , reinstall etc. on Tour, latest official Verizon software, win 7 , outlook 2010. intellisync error everytime I try to configure dm6.
as to poster below saying we don't ":need" dm6, we office 2010 peeps haven't been able to sync since April and were TOLD by RIM that this version of dm6 would solve the problem. Ridiculous- I have spent hours w/o a solution. Am going to look at droids today- RIM's falut and they NEED to fix these problems or will lose office users quickly !
08-19-2010 08:44 AM
Could this be the final nail in the coffin for BlackBerry?
As far as I can see, in BBD 6 they have made it prettier and now it works with non-Microsoft BlueTooth stack. But as most people will be using it to sync office data, it doesn;t really matter what it looks like but it *needs* to work and it clearly doesn't.
It would seem so simple if I was managing the defects that the number one priority would be to fix the 'abnormal termination' errors.
Completely lost faith in BlackBerry.
08-19-2010 12:02 PM
Add me to the problem [read very frustrated] list. Had DTM 5.0.1 & upgraded to 6.0. Upgrade left 5.0.1 in place & now neither ver. works. Cannot Sync. Tried all the KB "Resolutions" and none work. Did not want to mess with the registry but that even seems to have very mixed success. Tried uninstalling 6.0 but 5.0.1 still doesn't sync. Just get "unknow error reported." Uninstalling 5.0.1 gets Error 1316.
08-19-2010 01:50 PM
I have a Curve 8310. I have been running v.5.0.1 of BDM, both on my home computer and my work computer. Absolutely no problems.
Until I got the update message the other day and decided to follow its recommendation. Since then, I'd rather spend half a day with my dentist and the other half with a proctologist than to try to fix this issue.
I have trolled through this entire thread looking for ANSWERS, and all I can find are shots in the dark. I've installed, uninstalled, re-installed, repaired, clean uninstalled ... I've done just about everything but stand on my head . It is apparent to me that this is a very faulty "upgrade" (correct me if 'm wrong, but doesn't "upgrade" insinuate "better?"). Some users here quickly fixed the issue and others -- such as me and many others I read here -- are doing cyber-gymnastics to fix what appears to be an unfixable problem.
For the record, I use XP Pro SP3 on both computers.
Also, for the record, I have reached the "upgrade" portion of my phone contract. I have absolutely LOVED this Curve and the one that preceded it. But I've had other issues with RIM software in the past (such as having to reinstall the device software manually) and now this. All of a sudden, those iPhone and Google products are looking more and more enticing to me.
Thanks, RIM, for driving away a formerly VERY HAPPY customer. Thankfully, I found out all this **bleep** before my wife "upgraded" her BDM, just to save her the headache (and we all know how much trouble "wife" and "headache" can be).
Thanks. Thanks a lot.
08-19-2010 02:25 PM
Well, I finally got lucky. After clean uninstalling both and reinstalling 6.0, it finally worked. I had to try many times and i cannot remember any "good" software that doesn't cleanly remove what ever portions of the old that have to go. I think part of the problem has to do with a conflict when both are present. Having said that, I actually much prefer navigating around 5.01 than 6! I am too terrified to try any more. Contract is up soon and IPhone is looking better all the time....