Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Updating BB Bold with Mac Desktop Manager problem

I am jumping for joy that BlackBerry have FINALLY released support for those on Macs! But a little confused and dissappointed at a few things....

The main thing is that my BB Bold needs updating desperatly it's stuck on v. 4.6.0.162 as I have never been able to do an update. I backed everything up just in case and set about installing new updates for al applications. I then had this message pop up.....

"Your device is associated with a Blackberry Enterprise Server.
If you update this software, you need to reactivate your device to send and receive emails.

Check with your administrator before you continue"

What does this mean? If I continue with these updates, my email accounts will be wiped off my blackberry taking all stored emails with it?  How would I get them back, just by reinstalling my email accounts online like I did during setup, restoring all my mail that is stored on the server? Does this happen every time I have to do an update?? 

Its also not syncing my contacts and calenders properly. I currently try and sync them with google sync which works out ok, and thank lord for it, since when I tried syncing it just now it wied off all my contacts from BB!

Any help, especially withteh updating query much appreciate thanks!

Retired

Re: Updating BB Bold with Mac Desktop Manager problem

Because you are on BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server), you just need to redo the "Enterprise Activation" process again, after the new software has been loaded onto the BlackBerry..... Do you remember the first time getting your BlackBerry from your workplace? It most likely went through this pretty long process called "Enterprise Activation", where the BlackBerry Enterprise Server was pushing all this information to your BlackBerry.

The information it was pushing was stuff from your Microsoft Exchange account and also the IT policy that your workplace enforces.

All you have to do is: after BlackBerry Desktop Manager finishes loading a new OS onto your BlackBerry, call your IT department, and tell them that you just did a software updated to your BlackBerry, and that you just need to redo the "Enterprise Activation". They should be able to do it for your wirelessly.

While your BlackBerry hasn't done the Enterprise Activation yet, you most likely won't be able to send or receive email. However, once the Enterprise Activation is done, email should work again, and you should get all your emails back as well.

------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I have no idea what a BB enterprise server is! This isnt a BB for a company, simply me! When I got it I simply registered my email account on the BB which worked, and then added another account on the Orange BB website which I have been sending and receiving with ease on my BB.

Retired

Oh... in this case, you probably installed BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Windows at some point, and set it up with something what's called "Desktop Redirector".

In this case, you most likely are not on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, so you don't have to worry about that message. After you update the OS on your BlackBerry, simply try to send email from your BlackBerry, and also send email to the BlackBerry, and see if it works. If it works, then you're good. If not, then call your carrier and tell them to "resend BIS service books" to your BlackBerry. Then, your email should start working again. 

------------------------------------------------------