Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Updating bold 9900 wiped out BBM and the data on many of my applications

I recently updated the operating system on my bold 9900.  After it finished, my BBM were all wiped out.  Many of the applications had to be restarted (BB Protect, Phone Tracker, etc.)  The data on many applications were all wiped out (locations on Google maps, city data on Metro, etc.).  Not a major problem, but extremely annoying.  Updates must not destroy any data on any place on the device.  Any one having this problem?

Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Updating bold 9900 wiped out BBM and the data on many of my applications

OS updates have always wiped out data within the apps.

As for BBM you will lose conversations but your contacts should still be there. I recommend making local backups of your BBM contacts, though, using the options in BBM.

It has been like that forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic

Re: Updating bold 9900 wiped out BBM and the data on many of my applications

Thank you.  I appreciate the information.  I does point to a flaw in the update program.  The program should be designed to be as smooth as possible.  It should not destroy any data whatsoever.  I worked for many years programming the large mainframes and I can tell you that there is a problem, difficult to resolve, with the updates and they are taking the easy way out and wiping out the data, rather than fixing the update program.

I do love my Blackberry Bold 9900, but I do not intend to update the operating system again, unles there is a major problem with it that requires the update.  If ain't broken, why fix it!

Thank you again for the information!