Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Upgraded to OS 5 now memory issues

I have a memory issue (applications memory) since upgrading to OS5.

I have facebook, the weather channel, blackberry app world, Google maps and yellow pages NO other applications other than the ones they pre-install that I can't get rid of or figure out how to get rid of.   Any ideas?

I have to do a battery pull 2 - 3 times a day to keep my memory at like 25.

Thank you all for your help !!!!

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Upgraded to OS 5 now memory issues

You shouldn't start seeing problems until you get (well) below 10MB. Are you seeing issues, or are you just wanting to have that much memory free?

After a battery pull, I routinely have 25+, but after a while, I am down to 13 and below. Don't see issues until I get down to around 5.

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

is there a solution out there?

I have same problem. Upgraded to OS5, use only email and have no application memory within 6 hours.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Before you can find a solution, you must identify the problem. You have simply pointed out a symptom.

Have you installed any applications?

Are you in a position where you could wipe the phone, and start with a clean install?

Which OS 5 are you running? What applications are running in the background?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Digi

How much memory does the OS 5 take up on the Bold 9000?

I was having similar low memory issues, to the point where I can't update any applications because my memory was less than 2MB. Battery pulls only temporarily frees up the memory up to about 10MB but after some time, it drops down to KBs even.

I only have about 10 apps and most of the time I'm on Facebook, Time magazine, using the browser for reading and email.

Today, I finally tried a total wipe of my BB and reinstalled OS 5 via Desktop Manager. Surprisingly, immediately after installation, my available application storage space was only 45MB. I was expecting to see at least 90MB free space.

Therefore, my question is does the OS 5 really take up 80MB? And how about if I downgraded to OS 4.6? Would that be a better choice?