Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8250
My Carrier: O2

Upgrading 9500 to 5

Hi,

I'm a UK developer with a Storm 9500 running firmware v4.7.0.181. I've not been able to find any valid information about if this device can be upgraded to OS 5.0? In this devices simulator I have this (as I'm using the 5.0 SDK) and I've found numerous posts (i.e: here) suggesting that you can upgrade it but when I run the upgrade link http://worldwide.blackberry.com/update/blackberrystorm.jsp, it tells me I can not upgrade, only downgrade!

Could anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Retired
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Upgrading 9500 to 5

Have a look at this link: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

This will link you to a list of service providers download sites for BlackBerry Software. Select your service provider then select your device from the pull down menu.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

Hey thanks for the reply. My Storm 9500 is on Orange (UK) but this model doesn't show up in the list on that site. Should this site show download links for every model the network provides? Or are some missing?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Hello,

That's because Orange UK does not sell nor support that model -- at least that's how it looks from the download page. Did you buy it from them or did you buy it elsewhere and are trying to run it on their network?

Also, you are not limited to using an OS package provided by your carrier. Use these instructions to install any carriers OS for your model BB:

But, you must insert, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Retired
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: rogers

You could try going through a web-based upgrade of your device software. To do this you will need your USB cord and an active internet connection.

Perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update - KB16068

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB16068

Hope this helps.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, my mistake. I was given the phone from someone who got it from ORANGE in France, so this will explain why it doesn't show for UK. However, the update site still tells me there are no updates available. Can the 9500 defiantly be updated to 5.0?

I've tried doing the web update, this is what tells me there are no updates available!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

jamesingham wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. I was given the phone from someone who got it from ORANGE in France, so this will explain why it doesn't show for UK. However, the update site still tells me there are no updates available. Can the 9500 defiantly be updated to 5.0?

I've tried doing the web update, this is what tells me there are no updates available!

Did you not read what I posted above? You are not limited to only your carriers OS packages...if you do some research, you can discover which carriers are supporting which OS versions. Then you can download those other carriers OS packages and use them (via the instructions above). You might start here...this is a sticky thread in this very forum that Xandrex is kindly maintaining to try and keep everyone up to date on the various OS levels that different carriers are supporting.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Yes I did read what you posted.

Because we have a french device in the UK I had to find the network that distributed that phone over here. In the UK vodafone are the only network that sold the 9500 so we got the firmware downloaded from them and it worked. Bit of a hack job mind.

I'm still confused as to why BB have set out their firmware upgrades like this. You'd think they'd copy the likes of Apple/Google and have firmware build for device, regardless of the network provider.

Hall of Famer III

Actually, "you'd think" nothing of the kind. The business model RIM has is much more mature than either that you cite. In the BB model, the carriers control all support to end users. Hence, the carriers get to choose if they wish to support a particular OS level or not. As such, OS packages are released to the carriers and they choose what to do from there...some adopt them, others do not. But, via the public processes, you are not restricted to only those OS levels that your carrier happens to choose to support.

Contributor

I disagree - I would defiantly NOT think that. It sounds like another way to allow the carriers to tighten their already firm grip on their users. Why should one get exclusivity over another? The answer is money. I don't believe this is a good thing for the users. And as a result of this "model", why on earth is it so complicated to setup?