Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Uploading 4.2 or 4.3

I am a new BB 8700 user, and no genius. I have 4.1 as the running syatem, and have downloaded the 4.1 Desktop Manager on my PC. The disc supplied also has 4.2 on it. How do I go about getting 4.2 or the new 4.3 system onto my phone. Will I still keep all my Phonebook contacts if it over-rides 4.1.

Many thanks, Big Al.

Regular Contributor

Re: Uploading 4.2 or 4.3

Depends entirely on your Moblie Carrier Al.   If your carrier supports a device OS for the 8700 thats greater than 4.1, you can download it from them and use the Desktop Manager to install it to your phone.

Note that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is independant of your BlackBerry itself.   As long as you have a copy of hte Desktop Manager thats equal to or greater in age to your BlackBerry itself, it should work. 

Contributor

i would recommend desktop manager 4.2 service pack 2 as the DM that you use. 4.3 has quite a few bugs, especially when dealing with the newer Microsoft OS's
Contributor

And do I get the 4.2 service pack, downloaded from the Blackberry website to my PC, and then upload it to the phone, or direct from Blackberry site to Phone?

Told you I was just a novice.

Contributor

just download the desktop manager and install it to your computer you dont need anything else for the task you need done.