Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Use of empty space when drawer is collapsed?

I purchased this OS 6 phone yesterday. The first thing I am struck with is all of the wasted space on the desktop and the extra clicks to get to my applications. Three questions:

1. Can I get rid of the "All", "Favorites", etc headings? The main competition does not have these headings but users know how to swipe left/right to find things.

2. Can I lock the drawer "open" rather than having to click to find my icons? All of my previous blackberries just showed me the icons when I unlocked the phone, giving me easy access to what I wanted.

3. Is there any way to actually use the desktop space where all I currently see is the wallpaper?

Thanks! Just found out how to disable the non-integrated "att address book" feature. This would be useful if it were just a sync for the regular address book, not a completely seperate set of contacts.

(There are other things I like about the phone, such as the vibrate+ring functionality which my 8800 and prior lacked, but there are some braindead things such as the charge port being where you hold the phone to type, and the ac->usb charger putting the usb port on the side instead of rear.)

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Use of empty space when drawer is collapsed?

There is no way with the native theme to get rid of "All", "Favorites", etc.  You'll need a custom theme to accomplish that.  I personally like the "real estate" on the device to show off all the awesome wallpapers I have on the device, but it's a personal preference thing.

There aren't currently a whole lot of themes out there for this device.  I'm using one called Phoenix, which you'll find in AppWorld.

You can also touch and drag the "All" button up to display more icons.  I believe once you do that it will stay that way until you change it back.  You'll still have to scroll from side to side to see the other application screens, though.

Hope that all makes sense!  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Use of empty space when drawer is collapsed?

Boomer56 wrote:

There is no way with the native theme to get rid of "All", "Favorites", etc.  You'll need a custom theme to accomplish that.  I personally like the "real estate" on the device to show off all the awesome wallpapers I have on the device, but it's a personal preference thing.

There aren't currently a whole lot of themes out there for this device.  I'm using one called Phoenix, which you'll find in AppWorld.

You can also touch and drag the "All" button up to display more icons.  I believe once you do that it will stay that way until you change it back.  You'll still have to scroll from side to side to see the other application screens, though.

Hope that all makes sense!  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reply! It does make sense, but doesn't accomplish what I want. I will look through themes, or just try and make one myself. The problem is the drawer will recollapse if I am one "back button" too aggressive exiting an application. I don't need bling or eye candy, I just need it to work.